• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's 2014 Spring Garden

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
For seed, I leave the okra pods on the plant to fully develop... I pull them when they are 10"-12" long & let them dry (you know when they're ready because they will crack open on their own.

We have almost enough (frozen whole) that I will be pulling the plants as soon as the pillow case is full. Some of the bases are 2 1/2" thick & the plants are the healthiest we've ever grown (+5' tall & wide).

We're also having some as a side dish for dinner tonight... they'll be on the smoker in about an hour (wrapped in foil w/butter, salt & pepper). Smoked ribs, baked potatoes & okra!!!

Last edited:
E

ErnieCopp

My oldest plants are four feet tall, but i have a long way to go because my biggest pods are only 7 inches or so. We have really enjoyed them, and i will wait until the plants are mature to harvest the seed.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked the first 2 watermelons today... The first was overripe so I tossed it, the second was very good. These seem to have different 'signs' of being ripe than the 'Au Producer' that we have grown the last few seasons.

E

ErnieCopp

Another similarity to what i have had here this year. The stems did not shrivel, and the first and second tendrils did not wither, so, as i cannot hear to thump them, i had my helper do so. And he called them perfectly, so i did not have the over ripe problem i had last year. I have thought perhaps the fat stems were because of the daily drip irriegation, but not sure.

We pulled our vines this morning, and some of the later Persians do not have the White copper spots on them, and just have a slight tinge of yellow, so we put them in the shade to see if they ripen. The one on the bench in my workshop is expanding the yellow area, so i will test it when it is half yellow.

I have had ugly vines and unwanted white spots, but inspite of those appearance problems, i have eaten some of the best melons ever, this year.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked our first honeydew melon.

Also picked the last few eggplant & tomatoes before pulling up those plants.

Collected a bowl of Marigold seeds for next year.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pick another watermelon yesterday & the big Persian melon today... Ernie, there was absolutely no yellow on it at all (I picked it because I saw a bad spot starting to develop on it). It tastes like a mild cantaloupe... Is this what it is suppose to look like on the inside?

PersianMelon_080914.jpg

Watermelons_080914.jpg

Since the spring garden is almost done, I have been spending most of my time working on the stone walls, I finish around our party barn this morning & started the 'wing walls' around the area where the asparagus bed will be located... The concrete pad in the background is where our burn barrel will be relocated.

WingWall_080914.jpg

Last edited:
E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
When the persian is fully ripe, there will be no green, or very little between the orange and the skin. When ripe, the flesh is more tender or easier to cut with a spoon, than a cantaloupe and more intense flavor. When slightly overipe it is softer but not mushy, and the flavor is still good. I still like them when they are slightly overripe, like a little bit on the blossom end..

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continued cleaning up the garden in preparation for the fall garden & then watered the jalapenos.

Had a nice supper of Spaghetti Squash w/our homemade sauce & fresh bread.

SpaghettiSquashDinner_081114.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Spent the last week doing the stone work on the asparagus bed & cleaning up the garden. I picked the rest of the jalapenos a couple of days ago & started slicing/dicing them, as I wanted to make more 'Holy Jalapeno' relish out of them. I finally finished & canned them up yesterday.

Jalapeno_Relish_083014.jpg

In addition, I got the fall garden seeds planted in 3" pots last week.

This about closes out the 2014 Spring Garden. I'm looking forward to the 2014 Fall Garden & hope it does at least as good!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I picked the last of the jalapenos before pulling the plants out so I could finish the last row of the fall garden. Mrs. Ranch was 'pressed into duty' prepping them for relish & is not happy about it (this will keep her busy for a while, LOL!!!). I'm sure I'll pay for this somewhere down the road...

Now the 2014 Spring Garden is officially done.

Rockytop

Planting Zone
8B
Spent the last week doing the stone work on the asparagus bed & cleaning up the garden. I picked the rest of the jalapenos a couple of days ago & started slicing/dicing them, as I wanted to make more 'Holy Jalapeno' relish out of them. I finally finished & canned them up yesterday.

In addition, I got the fall garden seeds planted in 3" pots last week.

This about closes out the 2014 Spring Garden. I'm looking forward to the 2014 Fall Garden & hope it does at least as good!!!

My gosh that looks delicouse Ranch!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks RT!!! This relish is HIGHLY addictive, I've been having it literally every day. We will be finishing the last batch this morning, I already have the water bath pot heating up & the vinegar/sugar solution made.

There was not enough peppers left over to try jalapeno sauce this year, maybe next year as I plan on planting twice as many.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, I have some questions on Roma pole green beans and need your advice. Are there different varieties of the Roma pole beans? Are Roma and Romano pole beans the same bean? Were you satisfied with your Roma beans in your Spring garden and lastly, can you recommed a good supplier of the seeds?

As always, thank you for your expertise and help.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Technically 'Romano' is a heirloom pole bean, while the 'Roma' is a bush variety... I, like most, refer to both as 'Roma' beans in casual conversation.

I grow the 'Romano' pole bean as they have a more pronounced 'beany' flavor & they produce much better than the bush varieties IMO. They do tend to get stringy if left on the vine too long, where as the bush varieties aren't quite as prone to this drawback.

Last year I bought the 'Romano' from Burpee Seed, while the year before I bought them from Reimer Seeds.