• Join Home Gardening Forum

2014 - Mr Yan

M

Mr_Yan

First carrots out of my home garden.

Not counting these carrots I've harvested 82.57 pounds, spent $106.06, so garden food is at parity with grocery store food for us at this point or $1.28 a pound.

I've been tying up my large tomatoes at home.

My squash looks about done. The summer squash at home has stopped flowering and the leaves are yellowing / browning. I think this is just the plant saying it's done as the cucumbers next to and intermixed with the summer squash are going well. My pumpkins at the community garden are really looking done. As with my summer squash the leaves are yellowing and dieing back starting with the oldest leaves. The fruit is nicely colored and large.

I'm starting to think about what I still have time to grow before frost sets in. I think I'm limited to spinach, turnips, lettuce, and maybe beets.

M

Mr_Yan

Somewhere along the lines I mentioned most of my cost is early in the year and most of my harvest is late. Today my daughter and I went to the community garden and found my pumpkins were ready to harvest (I think, the vines were died back).

Eight pumpkins, ranging from 42.6 pounds to 7.3 pounds. These are Cinderella type baking pumpkins.

This brings my seasonal harvest to 291.17 pounds and I spent $109.08 for a cost of $0.37 a pound of produce.

Edit to add:
This brings my seasonal harvest to 298.91pounds and I spent $109.08 for a cost of $0.36 a pound of produce.

Now I need to rototill the garden and put in rows of lettuce, spinach, beets, and turnips.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ErnieCopp

Yan, I usually do not have anything to add to the Cooking comments as others know so much about it, but I have made a delicious soup inside the pumkin that draws a lot of compliments.
Take about a 8 or 10 inch pumpkin and cut a lid out of it, with plenty of angle so it will not fall in as the whole pumkin cooks.
Scrape out all the seeds..
Put in enough Mrs Cubbisons Flavored Croutons, :{Often used for stuffing Turkeys.}
Pour in about a quart of half and half, enough to cover the croutons,
You should be about 3/4 full of croutons and half and half.
Put in about 2 or 3 inches of grated swiss cheese,
Replace pumpkin top and place in pan that you can leave the pumpkin in in case it over cooks and is too soft to stand on its own.
Bake in an oven until most of insides can be tested with a fork for doneness. Try to avoid softening the pumpkin allowing it to slump.
Remove and let partly cool so sides are not soft and go in and scrape off the cooked pumpkin meat and mix with the other ingredients, and place th pumpkin on the table and serve from it.

It is a very impressive dish but too rich to serve as a first course for a bigt Holiday meal. So it is better served with a salad and sourdough bread as a lighter meal.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

No photos uploaded.

Late but direct seeded spinach, lettuce, turnips, kohl rabi, and radish at the community garden on Saturday (9/6).

First watermelon harvested was just about perfect ripeness but a 70 degree Farhenheit day in September is not really perfect watermelon weather.

Started to remove the summer squash and prep the containers for lettuce and spinach. I had a volunteer potato growing in one which I allowed to go. I harvested two redskin potatoes from it totaling 330 grams.

Seasonal harvest to date 307 pounds (139.44 kg) and I spent $109.08 for a cost of $0.36 a pound of produce. At this point it takes a lot of produce to move the price per pound.

M

Mr_Yan

Yan, I usually do not have anything to add to the Cooking comments as others know so much about it, but I have made a delicious soup inside the pumkin that draws a lot of compliments.
Take about a 8 or 10 inch pumpkin and cut a lid out of it...

Thanks Ernie, sounds good but I have the wrong type of pumpkins for this. I did the large Cinderella type pumpkins this year. The seed cavity is about 8" in diameter but the side walls are really thick. The three pumpkins I brought home total about 100 pounds - each being roughly 25 lb, 35 lb, and 42 lb.

I'll find a way to tweak this soup and make it.

The last squash soup I made used cream cheese. It was very rich but not very good and won't be made again in my kitchen.

M

Mr_Yan

Nothing like fresh watermelon right out of the garden on a hot day.

It's 54 F out right now. Oh well watermelon is watermelon. This is a sugarbaby icebox melon grown on a trellis in my back yard. Weighed in a 2079 grams.

Seasonal harvest to date 323 pounds (139.44 kg) and I spent $109.08 for a cost of $0.34 a pound of produce.

E

ErnieCopp

Yan,

The way the Government figures things, they would tell you to grow nine more of the big Cinderella Pumpkins and then brag about how they cut the cost of vegetable produce in half, since they do not have to eat their mistakes.

It is 95 outside here, and i have already eaten all my watermelons.

Ernie

Last edited by a moderator: