• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ordered a new KitchenAid Mixer, as our original one is starting to leak oil after 32 years... A white 'Professional 600 Series' (575W).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Whaler, what kind of car is that (year/model)??? That's a real nice pup BTW (I know what 'model' that is, just not the car, LOL!!!)...

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
RL inspired me, I just ordered some "Pride of Barbados" seeds. I've always wanted to grow that plant. Any tips are appreciated!

So I'll have to add a small piece of flashing to the front gutter. We had a good rainstorm yesterday when I got home from work and all the water was leaking behind the gutter and on the facia board. Lesson learned, should be a quick fix.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Whaler, what kind of car is that (year/model)??? That's a real nice pup BTW (I know what 'model' that is, just not the car, LOL!!!)...

Ranch, I came home a couple of weeks ago,My wife had a late surprise birthday present for me.Its a 2015 GTR. Always wanted one since 1994.
My son had to come home to show me the full potential of this car. Had a chance to "clear her throat"....kept up fairly close to a buddy Lamborghini Aventador. I still love my F- 350 Powerstroke, sir! A man can do everything in a truck. GTR3.jpg 20160519_140531.jpg

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
RL inspired me, I just ordered some "Pride of Barbados" seeds. I've always wanted to grow that plant. Any tips are appreciated!

So I'll have to add a small piece of flashing to the front gutter. We had a good rainstorm yesterday when I got home from work and all the water was leaking behind the gutter and on the facia board. Lesson learned, should be a quick fix.

Wolffman quoted: " Any tips are appreciated!" Lordy.....I'm the last person to give any tips. I'm still trying to figure out where on Earth did you bought those gutter! LOL! I really like them.

The " Pride of Barbados" are very nice.Surprisingly, they have a long blooming cycle. Its going on weeks now.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Wolffman quoted: " Any tips are appreciated!" Lordy.....I'm the last person to give any tips. I'm still trying to figure out where on Earth did you bought those gutter! LOL! I really like them.

The " Pride of Barbados" are very nice.Surprisingly, they have a long blooming cycle. Its going on weeks now.

RL, I ordered them from guttersupply.com. The type I have are called 'designer copper'. They are aluminum with some kind of tough powdercoating. About 6 years ago I bought a sample piece to test the durability of the coating. I tossed it in the flowerbed in full sun and it's been kicked around quite a bit. It has held up really well.

They are really expensive (for gutters anyway), but if you decide to go that route let me know and I'll let you know what I've learned. My wife loves them so I've got that.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
RL, I ordered them from guttersupply.com. The type I have are called 'designer copper'. They are aluminum with some kind of tough powdercoating. About 6 years ago I bought a sample piece to test the durability of the coating. I tossed it in the flowerbed in full sun and it's been kicked around quite a bit. It has held up really well.

They are really expensive (for gutters anyway), but if you decide to go that route let me know and I'll let you know what I've learned. My wife loves them so I've got that.

Thank ya!
I really like the copper designer look. It's seems like they are good quality as well.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Thank ya!
I really like the copper designer look. It's seems like they are good quality as well.

I was happy with the quality. And that's rare for me. If you want to install yourself, just take it a section at a time and try not to rush things. They are old school design and require a little tinkering. I was able to go online and found a template maker for cutting the saddle in the downspout where it meets the gutter so that it matches up just right. Only about 100ft more to go lol.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ranch, I came home a couple of weeks ago,My wife had a late surprise birthday present for me.Its a 2015 GTR.

Nice!!! I used to work with a guy that had one...

I showed a full picture of a GTR to my wife (she's never seen one) & asked her where my silver GranTurismo was... She said she didn't love me that much. She better hope I die first, LOL!!!

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
I was happy with the quality. And that's rare for me. If you want to install yourself, just take it a section at a time and try not to rush things. They are old school design and require a little tinkering. I was able to go online and found a template maker for cutting the saddle in the downspout where it meets the gutter so that it matches up just right. Only about 100ft more to go lol.

" "wolffman, post: 8013, member: 223"]I was happy with the quality. And that's rare for me." For some reasons or another, I pretty much figure that.Ya'll( You and Ranch) standards are hard to meet. :)

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Nice!!! I used to work with a guy that had one...

I showed a full picture of a GTR to my wife (she's never seen one) & asked her where my silver GranTurismo was... She said she didn't love me that much. She better hope I die first, LOL!!!

Great taste Ranch!! I knew you had a liking in the Maserati! Pure luxury with plenty of horses behind her.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Great taste Ranch!! I knew you had a liking in the Maserati! Pure luxury with plenty of horses behind her.

I do like my creature comforts!!! Notice the vents in the seat that blow climate controlled air on your neck & the 15-speaker, 1250W sound system... It's the little details that matter in life, LOL!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Made a pot of pinto beans to accompany our grilled chicken fajitas & mexican rice that will be our supper tonight.

Picked our first cantaloupe today... it was sweet!!!

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Sprayed 'Sedgehammer' and 'Dismiss' in separate test areas of the yard. We've had a terrible outbreak of yellow nutsedge after all the flooding. Some of the pastures around here are covered with it. I'll have to wait a few weeks to see what happens. I've got a few more options to fall back on if these don't kill it.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made Italian bread.

Harvested 2 more cantaloupe.

Cut the grass, then washed the garden tractor.

Received the new KitchenAid Mixer. Read the owners manual, then washed everything. We plan on test driving it tomorrow, LOL!!!

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
After doing quite a bit of research, I found out that the weed that has been invading my yard is not Yellow Nutsedge. It's called "Deep-Rooted Nutsedge". This stuff is like regular nutsedge on steroids. It grows to about 40" tall and is tough as nails. There are only a few counties in TX that have it so far. So, it will be an all out battle of chemical vs weed for the next couple years. Hate to spray that much, but I'm determined to get rid of this stuff.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mrs. Ranch decided to break the new mixer in by making wheat/peanut butter dog cookies, LOL!!! Then I drove her down to the L.U.C.I.E. dog shelter to pass them out & drop off some donations for the monthly flea market. After that, I took her to Hallettsville to buy different lamp shades. Needless to say, she's happy with the new lamp shades.

When we got home, I decided to dehydrate all the remaining carrots from the winter garden... I peeled/topped them first & then, after putting the slicing attachment on the new mixer, we fed them through. It only took a few minutes to slice the into 1/8" thick pieces. I blanched them for 5 minutes (to preserve the color) & then cleaned up while Mrs. Ranch was loading up the trays.

Carrots1_070116.jpg

Dehydrated_Carrots1_070116.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Amen to that. Looks like you're ready for the parade. Drink lots of water, it's hot here already. Heat index will be between 105 & 110 degrees...

I started watering all the trees/flowerbeds at 0600 hrs. After 3 hours, I dunk-soaked all the hanging baskets & watered the stuff in the pots.

Got a Boston butt/shoulder ready for smoking tomorrow to make some pulled pork, as Mrs Ranch wants to make more enchiladas for next week.

The carrots are done & I'll put them in a 2 half-pint canning jars. I would never had guessed that carrots contained that much water, LOL!!! I also reconstituted a few of them for QC purposes & found them to be good.

Dehydrated_Carrots2_070216.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I got the seasoned-up butt on the smoker early (Mrs. Ranch was in a hurry to get the show on the road)... I turned the finished product over to her & told her she's in charge of the enchiladas (since she has everything 'staged'). Yeah buddy, Mrs. 'Juanita' Ranch still has the touch!!!!

Pulled_Pork_070316.jpg

Enchiladas_070316.jpg

Harvested 2 more cantaloupe & added them to the 4 already on the counter. I need to dig up my cantaloupe pie recipe, LOL!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the pots, hanging baskets & the asparagus bed. It's been pretty hot here the last week (yes, it that time of the year here in Texas). The heat indexes have been in the 110 degree range & the winds are in the 15MPH range as well...

Did my monthly chores... Replaced the HVAC filters, refilled the chlorine tank in the septic system, cleaned the toilets & the whirlpool tub.

Harvested 2 more cantaloupe & 4 spaghetti squash.

Last edited: