Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Harvested a bunch more cantaloupe, they are extremely productive this year & it's getting out of hand... so I made a command decision. If we can dehydrate papaya & mango, we can so the same with cantaloupe... so we gutted & skinned 12 of them, sliced them about 3/8" thick & put them in.

Cantaloupe_070516.jpg

Dehydrated_Cantaloupe1.jpg

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Starting to see some positive results with the herbicides I'm using on the 'Deep-Rooted Sedge'. A lot of it is getting limp and looks like it has quit growing. I'm sure there are millions of nuts still in the ground, so I'll deal with those as they sprout. The herbicides I used knocked the yellow nutsedge dead in a few days. This deep-rooted sedge is much tougher. I'm going to try a more aggressive surfactant with the next application.

A little note on this nasty weed. It is fairly new to the county I'm in and is spreading on the I-10 corridor. So for my TX people, if you see a weed that looks like a super-sized yellow nutsedge that your mower will barely cut...kill it quickly!

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I am still a month or more from having any ripe melons. Much cooler than normal here. 72 at 4 PM. High of about 80. Plenty of melons and tomatoes on the vine, but just not ripening. Let me know what you think of the Crane melons if, or when, they get ripe. Ogens are producing well so i will have a good crop eventually.
Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ran around today with Mrs. Ranch doing 'chores'.

The dehydrating of the cantaloupe is complete... it took longer than I expected, but the flavor & the sugars are really concentrated. I'll leave them sit out on the stove for 24 hrs to stabilize before storing them. UPDATE: these things a re highly addictive... I find myself myself grabbing some every time I'm in the kitchen... I've probably eaten 2 melons today!!!

Dehydrated_Cantaloupe_Finished.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Well I've been out of town for a few days. Went a few hundred miles east for the long weekend. While many of you were barbecuing (or at least cooking out) on the fourth we were at the zoo and looking at penguins

I took my wheel hoe to the community garden last night and weeded the whole 30 x 50 foot area in less than 30 minutes. It worked great.

Finally got rain last night - almost 1.5"

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, pots & hanging baskets... It's been darn hot & windy.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Clean/refill hummingbird feeders.

Cleaned the dehydrator's teflon mats.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did some extra grocery shopping this morning.

Made salsa. It will be used when I make mexican rice to go along with tonight's supper.

Refilled the regular bird feeders (the redbirds & 'the bird lady' were complaining again).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made 2 loaves of Italian bread.

Sprayed RoundUp in the back half of the garden to kill the grass & touched up areas around the house. Stopped due to the heat (104 right now).

M

Mr_Yan

Put up the frame and stings for my 20' row of pole beans to climb. Ran around my community garden with my wheel hoe and killed the weeds. Watered that garden.

Back filled the retaining wall along the garage. This is the one that I put in a few weeks ago.

Washed and started learning how to use our electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) and have a batch of chickpeas in it now.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Finally got the yard looking respectable again. Spot sprayed Dismiss on more sedge. Sprayed MSMA on some other weeds. Sprayed Primo around the driveway and sidewalks.

M

Mr_Yan

Church

Sifted /harvested worm castings. Used these as part of the mix for starting seeds.

Started fall cabbage seeds in 3" pots
12 green cabbage
10 red acre cabbage
10 broccoli F1 gypsy
10 brussles sprouts long island improved
10 broccoli raab / rapinni
7 kale dino

Used my new pressure cooker (Instant pot 7:1) to make bulgur for bulgur salad. Used itfor chickpeas last night for hummus.

String trimmed the yard. Mowed the lawn.

Cleaned the bathtub a and cleared a clog in the drain

Grilling lake trout and summer squash for dinner.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
It looks like we all did some grass cutting this weekend.
Went down to the beach house to cut the grass. Finally harvest some figs.
Took my " little monkeys" to wet some lines. In one photo all you see is teef and gums! LOL! she was ready to give up her pink barbie rod and reel.

20160709_162026.jpg Cat2016.jpg Cat12016.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees this morning.

Sprayed RM43 at the entries, around barn/equipment shed & started on the roads.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested 2 more watermelons for the mail lady (she'll stop by after delivery).

Dropped of another 150 lbs of dog food at the LUCIE dog shelter.

Made bread.

Seasoned up & smoked 1/3 of a brisket for supper.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Picked more figs. Hoping to have enough to make Ranch's homemade fig ice cream.
Ya'll stay well hydrated out there.Almost died from this heat fishing this morning.It's hot as a fire cracker out side!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Worked on the 'swim up' bar. It's ready to be painted tomorrow AM.

Stained the concrete paver pad that the redneck swimming pool sits on. Yeah, it was hot... 104 degrees.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds & hanging baskets this morning.

Gave a 'haircut' to all the ferns in the hanging baskets.

Painted the swim up bar.

Replaced the batteries in the road sensors & then replaced the flag.

Now the news: We going to be gone for a couple of months & I will not be able to access the internet where we are going. We will be driving to our place in Panama, probably on Tuesday morning. It is a long drive (2791 miles) & we plan on leaving one of our Jeeps there. The purpose of this trip is two-fold: 1) to escape the heat/humidity for a while & 2) I need a couple of operations & we opted to have them done there for a number of reasons (one of which is I've known the neurosurgeon for decades - former USAF). With luck, we will fly home around Oct. 1st... I hope to alleviate the numbness in my legs & have better mobility (it sucks to get old & have old accidents revisit you). Until then, our ranch manager will be house sitting & will make sure everything is cared for.

M

Mr_Yan

Woke up to the weather radio going off. Finally getting some measurable rain.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
There was a man taking a flight to Las Vegas, and he'd just settled into his seat when in walks the most most beatiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on. She made her way down the aisle, and wouldn't you know it, she takes the seat right next to him. A few minutes go by, and the man can't help but to strike up a conversation with this beauty.

So he says, "Headed out for a vacation?"

"No", she replies, "Just a business trip".

Wanting to keep the conversation going the man replies, "Do you mind if I ask what kind of work you do?"

She replies, "I'm a journalist, and I'm attending the national nympho convention. I'm going to debunk some of the ongoing myths about sexuality."

Now curious, the man replies, "What kind of myths would those be?"

And she replies, "Well for example, it's long been said that the African American is the most well-endowed. It's been my experience that this title belongs to the American Indian."

"Interesting", he replies.

And she continues, "It's also been said that the French are the best lovers, but it's been my experience that the Mexicans own this category."

"Hmmmmm", he replies.

And she goes on, "It's also been my experience that the group with superior endurance is the southern Redneck".

"You certainly have an interesting project on your hands", he says.

They talk for a little longer and share a few laughs about the less-than-usual project she is about to start. Suddenly she says, "Here we are talking like friends, and I don't even know your name!".

He grabs her hand and looks into her eyes and says, "My name is Tonto Gonzales, but people call me Bubba."

Hahahaha!

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds & hanging baskets this morning.

Gave a 'haircut' to all the ferns in the hanging baskets.

Painted the swim up bar.

Replaced the batteries in the road sensors & then replaced the flag.

Now the news: We going to be gone for a couple of months & I will not be able to access the internet where we are going. We will be driving to our place in Panama, probably on Tuesday morning. It is a long drive (2791 miles) & we plan on leaving one of our Jeeps there. The purpose of this trip is two-fold: 1) to escape the heat/humidity for a while & 2) I need a couple of operations & we opted to have them done there for a number of reasons (one of which is I've known the neurosurgeon for decades - former USAF). With luck, we will fly home around Oct. 1st... I hope to alleviate the numbness in my legs & have better mobility (it sucks to get old & have old accidents revisit you). Until then, our ranch manager will be house sitting & will make sure everything is cared for.

Dang Sam, that's a long drive through some pretty rough territory! I'm sure you have the route planned out though. Stay safe and try to give us an update when you can. Good luck!