• Join Home Gardening Forum

What's the coldest temp you've seen this winter?

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
33.6 for me right now and that's as cold as I've seen so far here on the Texas coast. Tomatoes and squash will be done for sure after tonight.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
33.4 was as low as we got last night, which has been the lowest thus far. The really cold temps won't come until January... Last winter the coldest night was 24.4 on January 14th.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I look forward to seeing what some of the guys up in the northern states put on here. I complain when it gets below 40 - can't imagine it being below zero for any length of time.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Oh yeah, they do get some serious cold temps. I have memories of -40 ambient & some -90 wind chill... never again. NEVER.

E

ErnieCopp

Something you never forget is to go out to start a tractor to plow snow and find out the diesel fuel has turned to jello.

While i never saw it go below 30 below in Idaho, we did see 14 feet of snow the last winter we lived there. Collapsed house roofs, barns, etc. and made life miserable. But even here i get upset when 25 degree weather damages Avocado and Mexican Lime trees.

Ernie

S

Slowngreen

Had a couple mornings around 6 AM that were 4*. Been warmer the last week or so though.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
-22.6f a few nights ago. Brrrrrrr I literally watched the lake I live on freeze over.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I'm cold just reading that! It's 72 at my house this afternoon.. Wish I could send some warmth up your way.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
So far the coldest has been 15. I think the farmers almanac is calling for a cold one though.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Winter storm Warning with 24+ inches of snow coming then an arctic blast Thursday with lows -20-30 oh yeah welcome to the Tundra ha ha

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Well we passed 24" sometime late last night. I just checked and it was 32" so far and another 6-10 expected. One of the biggest snowfalls i've ever seen.
Weird stuff!!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Going to be cold here too (not like the north is getting, but cold for us). Suppose to start dropping around noon tomorrow... so I put out 3 rolls of hay & fed the cattle today, then brought up another load of firewood. All I need to do tomorrow AM is fill the bird feeders, put out a suet block. In the afternoon, I'll close up the greenhouse & turn the heater back on, then turn the light on in the wellhouse.

It's 78 right now...

Last edited:

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Looks like 40 is the predicted low here for Fri. Supposed to get down in the thirties early next week though.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
OK MN, I gotta ask -- are you guys able to function (ie.. work, school, driving etc..) up there with 3' of snow and -30 degree temps? The whole world shuts down here if we stay below freezing for more than a couple of days. Post up some pics if you get a chance.

S

Slowngreen

was -3 here last night with -14 wind chill. Only light flurries so far though.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Front came through central Texas early, about 0720. When I let the dogs out at 0700 it was 72 degrees & it dropped 20 degrees in a matter of minutes. 43 degrees right now & still heading down. Feels a lot colder with the humidity & wind... Looks like I'll be building a fire in the morning.

M

Mr_Yan

Low single digits F. At that point I stop paying attention - cold is cold right? Tonights low is forecast as 5 F and tomorrows high is 11 F. When I left for work today it was around 9 F and wind chill around -10 F but wind chill is meaningless if you're prepped for it. Most years we hit -20 to -25 F for about a week in early February.

Last Wednesday we left northern IL for western MI along the Lake Michigan coast. When we left home it was 9 F and blowing hard out of the north but no snow to be seen. When we arrived just south of Ludington MI 10 hours later it was about 30 F and over 12 inches of snow. As a side note my grandfather's leaf blower was too weak for the snow fall - about 6 inches on the cars Thanksgiving day.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Nasty out there this morning, but at least the wind laid down.

Temperature went below freezing at 9:16 last night & then hit a low of 30 at 5:00AM... it is still holding at that temp.

M

Mr_Yan

4 F when I made coffee at 7:30 today. We've made it up to 8 F at this point. These are from the thermometer mounted outside my kitchen window.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
OK MN, I gotta ask -- are you guys able to function (ie.. work, school, driving etc..) up there with 3' of snow and -30 degree temps? The whole world shuts down here if we stay below freezing for more than a couple of days. Post up some pics if you get a chance.

Well for the most part everything goes on like normal some shops and schools close if more than 8" of snow. This last storm however was near record snowfalls. Since it's a very rural area the little towns close up and the roads don't get plowed right away. We have a big genny for when the power goes out which happens often as we live on the very end of the power line.
Wood for the fires and food are always kept in quantity as we are so far from town. I actually live about 10 miles from the lowest recorded temp in the lower 48 which was in Tower, MN in 1996 -60F. We are kind of in a mountain valley here and the arctic air sits here for long periods of time. -30 and colder is extreme and we only see a few days a year of that type of cold. But -20- -30 isn't uncommon from late December thru end of Feb.

Last night it was -21 with -45 windchills brrrrrrrr

I took a bunch of pics the other day but none of them turned out as it was snowing too hard lol. Slighty sidelike and sometimes UP lol. Once the sun comes out i'll get some snow bank pics so you can see how huge they are.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Looking forward to the pics! It's 40 here this morning and I'm about to sneak out for a couple hours in search of a rather large speckled trout. Hopefully it works out for me.

M

Mr_Yan

Up to 22 F now and getting snow. Dog will get a walk when kids go down for nap.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Water temp was 42 this morning. I managed 5 decent trout and only waded for about and hour. Not a bad day. Fingers got a bit numb though.