• Join Home Gardening Forum

What's the coldest temp you've seen this winter?

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Just got back from going to Gatlinburg, TN for the past 4 days and it was nothing but miserable raining days. Highest temp was 45.

M

Mr_Yan

Just got back in from a 20 minute dog walk. 2 F here. The combo of salt, ice chunks, and temperature was hard on my dog's paws. I had to pick him up about half a dozen times and clean out his paw.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
We have an outside dog who's been hanging out inside while it's cold. I can barely force her to go out every few hours to pee and it's in the 40's here. If it was 2 degrees I think she'd probably bite me if I tried to put her out.

E

ErnieCopp

Not sure why this type size is so small as i have not changed anything. Our climate here has changed and we get frosts more frequently now. I gave up on my Guava and other tender plants but trying to save a real nice 6 foot Avocado, so I hung a tarp over a PVC frame, pinned the edges together and set a small space heater in a bucket on the edge of the tarp. with the hot air blowing in under the tree. Connected power through a thermostaic tri plug, that closes when temp hits 35 degrees and reopnes in the mid forties.
Very pleased this morning when i saw frost on the grass but none withing about 3 feet of the tarp nor on the tarp itself. supposed to be cold the next few nights, so i will leave it on till it warms up.

I know some of you fellows that live in real cold country will laugh about my problems with a bit of frost, but just remember, you have to buy your avocados. lol.

It wa 3 degrees on my old Nursery in Idaho a few days ago.

Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

I mentioned the small type i was seeing when i typed the post above, and as you can see, it automatically corrected itself. This is very small, too, so if it happens to you, do not worry. it will change to larger type.

Ernie

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
5th day of -35 or colder windchills. Brrrrr what ever happened to global warming?

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
33 and a hard frost at my house today. Finished off my squash/eggplant and quite a few peppers. gonna get to cleaning tomorrow to make room for lettuce and some more kohlrabi.

M

Mr_Yan

Sitting at -4 F and the sun is just going down. This does not bode well for overnight. I feel sorry for the UPS / FedEx drivers out right now.

We got the gas bill for Nov 15 - Dec 14 - below average temps the whole time - and it came in at $76. Guess putting in a new front door, replacing two basement windows with glass block, and a new furnace is showing the benefits. We heat to 68 F and with really little kids (15 month olds don't really know how to use blankets I guess) we don't knock down the temp at night.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
When you get to be older, you NEVER go below 68. Fireplace has been going nonstop for 2 days now & my wife just said that the only room in the house that's warm is the front room. The dogs never move off the couch except to go out (wussies) & it's only 40 degrees w/a 20 MPH north wind here LOL!!!

M

Mr_Yan

Yeah wind chill; I don't pay much attention to that anymore. Cold is cold right? Local TV station is saying we're at -5 F standing temp with -22 F as wind chill.

E

ErnieCopp

Thanks for the reminder, fellows. Sometimes i wonder why i left Idaho, but I remember now. Yan, I never paid much attention to the Wind Chill when i was in the house, but I sure noticed it outside when that wind would come down the mountain from the North East. I never could figure out how i could get so cold without freezing solid.
Ernie

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
.. WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST SUNDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DULUTH HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST SUNDAY.

* WIND CHILL VALUES... LOWERING TO 40 TO 50 BELOW OVER MOST OF NORTHEAST MINNESOTA EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS... EXPOSED FLESH COULD FREEZE IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr temps from -30 to -44 expected over the next 72 hours brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
So our Governor just closed Schools statewide on Monday due to temps of -30+f and windchills of -50-85 degrees. Where did Global Warming go? This has not happened since the early 90's. Freaky weird cold weather up here in the Tundra!!!!

M

Mr_Yan

yup, I'm almost with you Lost in MN. It was -16 when I went to work this morning.

Forecast HIGH on Monday is -16 F and supposed to be blowing hard too.

Green Bay will be nasty this weekend for the football game.

Did you see the story about Winnipeg Manitoba yesterday? The high temp was -27 C, the same daytime high temp that the Mars rover Curiosity recorded a few days ago on Mars.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Yeah it's creepy, I have lived here 41 years and never seen this many days of -30 or colder temps. Now they are saying that All Time Low Temps across the state could be reached Sunday night. I don't envy the crowd at that game it's going to be damn cold!!!!!!

I did see the thing about the Mars rover and had to chuckle about it as it was colder here than Winnipeg !!!

M

Mr_Yan

We're on our way to 28 or 30 today. It will finally be warm enough for me to take the dog for a walk again.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 68 yesterday while I was working on the garden & was 62 at 0600 hrs this morning when I let the dogs out... Shortly after that, the cold front started to push through. Temp is now 45 degrees heading for 26 degrees tonight & 24 degrees tomorrow.

I got the fireplace loaded & ready to go for this afternoon. I plan on making some ham/bean soup for supper working on another puzzle to pass the time...

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Picked 3 and 1/2 laundry baskets full of grapefruit, 3 five gallon buckets of satsumas, about 10 lemons and a handful of lemon drops (cross between a lemon and a kumquat). Covered up the citrus that I could and paid extra care to the kumquat bush that is completely loaded but not ripe yet. Dang cold weather! Covered up the avocado and the star fruit tree as well. If I can get everything through Tuesday I should be OK for a bit, I hope.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Hit a low of 24 last night & is up to 28 right now with 20-30 MPH winds...

Forecast is 19 tonight.

M

Mr_Yan

-20 F here when I left for work at 6:40 am. Flags were standing out like sheets of plywood too. Radio guys were saying that the wind chill was about -44 F. My car protested but started on the first key turn.