• Join Home Gardening Forum

What's the coldest temp you've seen this winter?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Low was 19.8 this morning. Wind chill was 14.

At least this cold should put a dent in the bug population this year.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I'm ready for the heat wave that's coming this weekend (called for 50's). It was -4 this morning coming into work. Wind chill was -10 I believe.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Yesterday was the first day in almost 7 weeks that we weren't under some sort of weather or cold advisory. Finally got out on the sled and went for a 200 mile ride. Today is freezing rain but 32 degrees. Only 3 more months of winter left lol

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Up in the mid 70's here today - supposed to be pretty nice all week. Of course I'm stuck at work when I want to be fishing or in the yard..

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Started out in the 70's today and quickly deteriorated into a wet 40 degree mess. Stayed inside and made 50 lbs of jalapeno garlic dill sauerkraut and ground up 20 lbs of deer pan sausage.

M

majorcatfish

Last week we hit the lowest in years 0* first time we had a frozen pipe since moving here....
And this morning it's 65 and raining go figure..
Everyone up north stay safe

M

Mr_Yan

-12 F when I left for work at 6:45 AM today. No where near coldest of the season. Still less than 40 inches of snow but the locals are complaining of too much snow.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I feel for you guys in all that mess.. I also feel bad for griping about the little bit of cold weather we get down here but we're just not used to it and it's miserable. On the plus side maybe my Sam Houston peach will actually get enough cold time to bear fruit this year.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Was 39 yesterday and its supposed to be 60 today and 70 tomorrow. All this cold-hot hot-cold stuff has my sinuses all jacked up. Hope to get out this weekend and till a bit and add some soil treatment in preparation for the spring garden.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Tonight and Tomorrow night will make the 54th and 55th nights of - zero Wind Chill Advisories or Warnings since December 1st.
What is so weird about this, in an average winter we only have about 30 nights -20 or colder this year we have had 55 almost twice as many.
Yikes!

M

Mr_Yan

@Lost in mn I hear you.

We're now 35 + days with temps below zero this season. I'm over an hour drive south of Madison WI. I don't know how many days with wind chill and or winter advisories though.

We picked up another 4" of snow yesterday and were about -9 F before dawn today but now we're up to 18 F. Tonight we're projected to be -12 F. Nothing like a 30 degree swing in 12 hours. We have had at least 2 inches of snow on the ground since Dec 8. According to a local meteorologist if we make it to March 6 we tie the record for continuous snow cover.

The locals here don't know what to do with persistent snow. They're used to small amounts of snow that melt down within a week or two.

The snow has made a great cold source to use when chilling beer wort. So far this year I've brewed twice so I've tied 2013 for brewing.

I just spoke to my brother and the town we grew up in (northern lower Michigan along Lake Michigan) is now well over 150 inches for the season. I know there were a few years growing up where snowfall was well over 200 inches for the season.

I determined Wednesday that I far prefer to shovel snow than to mow my damnable lawn.

Oh well getting close to time to start pepper and leeks inside.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Now in the upper 20's to low 30's right now. Still have several trees down and/or covered in ice.

trees02.jpg

trees01.jpg

M

majorcatfish

brrr... call me crazy but seeing your photos makes me wanting to move to the mountains..

M

Mr_Yan

I grabbed the recorded low temps from wunderground.com since the start of this year and found that our average low temp for the year is 0.8 degrees F.

At this point the frost line is about 5.5 feet deep and the city water department has asked us to keep a faucet running at a trickle constantly. Apparently 100 customers in the city and about 200 around the city have had the supply line into their house freeze (between the main and the meter) up this year.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Been up in the 60's pretty consistently for the past week or 10 days. At this point I'm hoping it's over with down here. I had tomato plants 2 feet tall at this time last year.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
2nd day of spring and it was a balmy -9 this morning. Gotta love living in the tundra!

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
2nd day of spring and it was a balmy -9 this morning. Gotta love living in the tundra!
I feel somewhat guilty down here - I've been walking around in shorts and flip flops. Been pretty consistently in the 70's. Small front blowing in this morning but I don't think it's going to amount to much. Stay warm up there!

M

Mr_Yan

Yeah, we still are advised to keep water running at a trickle to keep the burried supply line from freezing. Frost depth is still 6 feet down but the snow has all but melted away. Now we have about 1.5 to 2 inches of soggy ground then frozen earth.

M

Mr_Yan

currently 11 F here, 6:30 am March 26