• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm fixing to grind up a brisket & make some burgers (Mrs Ranch informed me that we were down to only 2)...

Ended up with 35 - 6 oz burgers!!! All we got left to do is vacuum pack them tonight (freezing them solid right now) & they're done. Good deal...

Pizza tonight & bacon/jap/cheeseburgers tomorrow night!!!

GM_1.jpg

GM_2.jpg

GM_3.jpg

GM_4.jpg

Last edited:

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Supper today will consist of our version of 'Pollo a La Parilla' (grilled Mexican chicken topped with 4 Mexican cheeses), served with grilled onions/japs, on a homemade roll (slathered w/ranch dressing and corn-on- the-cob. Keeping it simple tonight... The fig ice cream is history.

Pictures to follow...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's chicken time again!!! The menu tonight will be a version of 'Pollo a La Parilla' done like Tex-Mex fajitas. Easy main meal.... flattened chicken breasts , seasoned with some Fiesta Brand Fajita Seasoning & marinated in the juice of a couple limes.

Pollo_a_la_parrilla_1.jpg

Pollo_a_la_parrilla_2.jpg

Also having some Stuffed Jalapenos & fresh pico de gallo. Of course, we will be washing it all down with a Margarita !!!

E

ErnieCopp

I do not barbecue anymore so I just read this thread for the first time.
Sam, did you learn to cook at the Salt Lick Barbecue out in the brush country west of Austin, or did they learn from you?
Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The final product... Dang, it was excellent (excuse my modesty)!!! Sorry, but there is no picture of it sliced up & rolled in the tortilla, with additional guacamole... I'm stuffed!!!

On the bright side, there are plenty of stuffed japs leftover for breakfast, as well as chicken fajita for a dinner salad tomorrow!!!!

Final.jpg

Ernie, I just learned by doing... LOL!!! I started cooking at about 10 yrs. of age, with a lot of encouragement... my grandma said I needed to learn to take care of myself because no woman would ever put up with me (she showed me how to sew & knit too). I miss both her & my grandpa dearly to this day.

Yes, I've come a long way & I'm sure they'd be smiling if they were still here...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Opps, Mrs Ranch slapped me & said "You forgot the cilantro, dummy!!!" so here I am, making a correction... put cilantro in it (to taste)...

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Opps, Mrs Ranch slapped me & said "You forgot the cilantro, dummy!!!" so here I am, making a correction... put cilantro in it (to taste)...

Sounds like my wife and your wife would get along great! I get the same treatment...haha

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Looks a lot better than the ones I did on the gasser. Having said that, I did remember to bring back the Weber Kettle from deer camp this morning so I can at least grill properly... if I remember to pick up some lump charcoal tomorrow AM.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Well since retrieving & doing a lil' work on the old Weber Kettle, I'm going to put the ol' girl back to work today, heh, heh, heh!!!

The supper meal will consist of a beef shoulder roast, baked potatoes, brussel sprouts & homemade garlic bread. The kettle is set to be lit & the meat is seasoned & resting.

Weber_1.jpg

Roast_1.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cripe, I over-cooked the meat... I hate screwing up. But at the same time Mrs. Ranch cut the meat wrong... At least everything else was good.

Roast_2.jpg

Roast_3.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Looks are deceiving, it was my fault that it was dry (I'm guessing to high a temp). Adding a gauge to the lid today... as close to grate level as I can. Then I'll cook something else on it. This is not like a real smoker so I will have to learn to adapt to it.

In the meantime, I'll show the wife again how to look at the grain of the meat when slicing.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I am trying to teach my wife the same thing about slicing meat across the grain. I sure hope both of them are good students.
Very difficult to cook shoulder or rump with dry heat, or so it always seemed to me. Is that your beef you have been cooking?

I was working for a guy that owned a gold mining claim up in the mountains, some cattle had been abandoned up there when the range lease was canceled, so we shot a 300 lb calf, for a big barbecue, and it was pretty good. Do you ever eat them that young?

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Very difficult to cook shoulder or rump with dry heat, or so it always seemed to me. Is that your beef you have been cooking?

I had a pan of water directly under the meat to provide moisture Ernie... although it is somewhat hidden in the pic.

Yes that was one of ours... it costs about $1.50/lb to raise our own beef, which is substantially less than buying it. About the only meat we purchase is chicken & sometimes pork.

I was working for a guy that owned a gold mining claim up in the mountains, some cattle had been abandoned up there when the range lease was canceled, so we shot a 300 lb calf, for a big barbecue, and it was pretty good. Do you ever eat them that young?

I probably have, although we like to feed them out until the weigh 750-800 lbs before we haul them up to the butcher. We normally hold back 1 per year for our freezer.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Looks good & juicy!!! I love mac & cheese too!!!

No grilling last night... As I always eat my mistakes, I cubed up part of the meat from Sunday & added onions, green pepper & some potatoes turning it into hash. Pretty good, all things considered!!!

Tonight I'm slicing up the rest of it & plan on sauteing it with some GTO Sauce, then serve it on some homemade Italian rolls with a salad on the side. I'll tell my wife it's an Italian Beef hoagie... that should work!