• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
OK, it's 101 outside (so what) & I haven't eaten anything off the grill for a few days... I made the call that we're having new York Strip steaks, bake potatoes & homemade garlic bread. Also since the okra is putting on so well, I made a variation of Stewed Tomatoes & Okra (to appease the wife)... this time with tomato, okra, corn & black-eye peas w/japs for a side dish. Head'in out now...

E

ErnieCopp

That looks like either a Big NY Strip or a small plate. Just Bigger in Texas, I guess. lol.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
LOL, Ernie!!! Yep, were big ones. Neither of us could finish so tonight's supper will be a large steak salad w/blue cheese dressing.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Alright Sam, here are mine...Although this time I did them a little different. Cook up some ground beef and season that with Texas Gunpowder, paprika, garlic, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, a little bit of sriracha sauce and of course the seeds from the Jalapeno's. After it's cooked let it sit and cool. Mix in the Chive and onion crème cheese to the ground beef and fill the Japs. After filling the Japs put in some red onion pieces and wrap those suckers up with maple bacon and cook em! They were awesome!

JAPS1.JPG JAPS2.JPG

E

ErnieCopp

I drove clear across Texas twice, so cannot dispute part of what you say, but not sure about the mosquitoes. I think Wyoming and Alaska can give you some competition there.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

They LOOK awesome!!! Dang, now I have a taste for them again & I don't have enough bacon on hand...

I drove clear across Texas twice, so cannot dispute part of what you say, but not sure about the mosquitoes. I think Wyoming and Alaska can give you some competition there.

I've heard that Alaska & Siberia are much alike in the mosquito swarms. although I've never been to either. They can be bad here (especially the week after a good rain), but the worst place I've ever been was Wisconsin... their sheer numbers & their appetites were unbelievable!!! There was also a really small fly that swarmed (like a black cloud) & when they bite, they drew blood... 'death by 1000 cuts'. Suckers were vicious like airborne piranha!

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B

Ernie

Ernie, you mean to tell me that you drove through Texas twice and didn't stay?:confused: We can use good people like you!(y)

E

ErnieCopp

I might have considered staying, at least for a while, if I could have found a house near the Salt Lick BBQ, out in the brush west of Austin, but did not want to stay under a bush.

We had bad mosquitoes in Idaho, but knew they were there so always doped up when necessary. The ones down here are only 1/4 as big, small enough to crawl through window screens, but they leave a welt on me bigger than a nickel. Thankfully we have lots of fly and gnat catcher birds so we do not have very many of them.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Last night was grilled pepperoni & sausage pizza.

Grilled_Pizza.jpg

Tonight, I'm thinking sirloin on the kettle... we'll see what Mrs Ranch thinks.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Had some family over and tried smoking a pork butt for the first time this past weekend. Fired up the smoker early Sat morning. Got the temp settled at 225 and threw on the pork butt, 2 links of sausage and a small pork tenderloin. Sausage and tenderloin didnt take long so we snacked on that while having drinks and waiting on the butt.

Roughly 6 hours uncovered and then 2 more hours tightly wrapped in foil, then let it sit for an hour and it turned out amazing!! Everyone devoured the pulled pork samiches on toasted buns. I'll definitely be doing this again.

Also included a pic of a drink that promptly got named the "Redneck Bloody".... lol. We were making bloody mary's and the sausage was sitting there, so it seemed like a good idea. Lol.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
All of it looks good, including the BM!!! Also like the sausage wedge!

Did you use a vinegar finishing sauce on the pulled pork???

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Well, the lady of the house nixed the sirloin for tonight... Chicken drumsticks is what she wants for supper, now that that was decided for me, I can get them marinating & will smoke them on the kettle.

On a side note, the local HEB mislabeled their 'select trimmed briskets' as 'untrimmed packers' so I bought 4 of them @ $2.18/lb. (instead of $3.96/lb. which they normally charge). I always check for possible mistakes... sometimes we get lucky.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Had some family over and tried smoking a pork butt for the first time this past weekend. Fired up the smoker early Sat morning. Got the temp settled at 225 and threw on the pork butt, 2 links of sausage and a small pork tenderloin. Sausage and tenderloin didnt take long so we snacked on that while having drinks and waiting on the butt.

Roughly 6 hours uncovered and then 2 more hours tightly wrapped in foil, then let it sit for an hour and it turned out amazing!! Everyone devoured the pulled pork samiches on toasted buns. I'll definitely be doing this again.

Also included a pic of a drink that promptly got named the "Redneck Bloody".... lol. We were making bloody mary's and the sausage was sitting there, so it seemed like a good idea. Lol.

Yep, that looks damn good!

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
All of it looks good, including the BM!!! Also like the sausage wedge!
Did you use a vinegar finishing sauce on the pulled pork???

As a matter of fact, I used your sauce recipe that you posted on the "time to kick some butts" thread. It was great!

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Do they really make mistakes, or are they just adjusting their inventories?

I buy my meat at Costco, as they sell both Prime and Choice Beef. Choice Rib Eye suits me better than the Prime, but I do prefer Prime NY Strip and Prime Top Sirloin. Quite often, if I sort through the packages, I find a couple of Prime NY tucked in a Choice pack of four, and the same thing with the Top Sirloins. So that makes me suspect they are not always able to sell all of their Prime Cuts, so they slip them in with the cheaper ones, and are then able to keep their prices high on the the Prime packs. Am I being to skeptical? LOL.
Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Whatever. I'm just glad we were there to take advantage of it...

I got them on the kettle now... Mrs Ranch just came down to let me know that we got a phone call to inform us that a very near friend just passed away.

I had coffee with Phil everyday for over 10 yrs. I'll be gone till Thursday, I'm going to go & say good bye...

R

Rolex

My heartfelt condolences go out to you, my friend. A lot of us are now reaching the age where we go through this way too often.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,

It becomes more frequent as the years go by, but it never gets any easier. Sorry to hear about it.

Ernie

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Whatever. I'm just glad we were there to take advantage of it...

I got them on the kettle now... Mrs Ranch just came down to let me know that we got a phone call to inform us that a very near friend just passed away.

I had coffee with Phil everyday for over 10 yrs. I'll be gone till Thursday, I'm going to go & say good bye...

Sorry to hear this Sam!