• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

mattroj

Cut the grass and cleaned up all the dry leaves.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered everything for 1 1/2 hours as it's 100+ degrees (heat index will be 110+).

Refilled 4 hummingbird feeders.

Start the Linux upgrade to my main computer as it's too hot outside to do anything.

Made stuff jalapenos to go along with our supper tonight.

Last edited:
K

ksk

We returned today from two days in Houston[ouch].I watched the radar both Thursday and Friday and it looked like our area got some needed rain.The gauge at my gate read 3.7 and at the house 4.9 !! My pond has come up 5 foot as we finally got some run off.

M

Mr_Yan

Harvested 75 feet of potato row and got 65 pounds. Speared / broke remarkably few spuds. Child labor made this easy - I dug and the 7 year old was sitting on the ground picking up the potatoes.

watered carrot seeds

need to:
  • fertilize / water garden
  • fertilize / water lawn
  • look at putting support under my garage wall
  • water soil cubes
  • grocery shop - store #1
  • grocery shop - store #2

K

ksk

Pulled tomato and egg plants.Weeded the beds.Cutting okra every other day.Second crop of corn looks promising.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Been spending most of my time completing the upgrade of my main computer. The Linux stuff was quick & easy, however the setup/populating the 'virtual XP & Windows 7 machines' is very time consuming. I'm now testing everything...

Made a batch of Salsa Molcajete (half of it will be used when I make the rice for tonight's supper). Also seasoned up the beef fajita meat that will be our main course.

The hummingbirds are increasing in numbers, there's about 50-60 of them yesterday. Soon there will be 300-400 of them & I'll be making huge batches of nectar to refill the 26 feeders every morning.

M

Mr_Yan

Watered the carrot seeds - some are now germinated and have a leaf above ground

Mowed the lawn

Diced a bunch of peaches and have them in the dehydrator.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Been spending most of my time completing the upgrade of my main computer. The Linux stuff was quick & easy, however the setup/populating the 'virtual XP & Windows 7 machines' is very time consuming. I'm now testing everything...

Made a batch of Salsa Molcajete (half of it will be used when I make the rice for tonight's supper). Also seasoned up the beef fajita meat that will be our main course.

The hummingbirds are increasing in numbers, there's about 50-60 of them yesterday. Soon there will be 300-400 of them & I'll be making huge batches of nectar to refill the 26 feeders every morning.

That's a lot of hummers Ranch ! I'll bet that's a sight to see. I'm lucky to see 3-4 LOL!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
^^^ Oh yeah, we're smack dab in the middle of their migratory route. We like to sit on the back porch (while we are having our afternoon drinks) with them buzzing all around us. ^^^

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went to town to get our haircuts & to pick up some stuff at the grocery store.

Finished up the upgrade to my main computer & made a clone of the boot disk.

Refilled 5 hummingbird feeders.

Watered the hanging baskets & pots on the porches.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Got some rain, maybe 1/4". My rain gauge is now overgrown by squash and tomato I can't get an accurate measurement.

Harvested 19.3 pounds of tomatoes.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, the flowerbeds & the asparagus bed.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Replaced the water filter in the well house.

Killed the fire ant mounds in the yard.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
M

Mr_Yan

back to school night here. Took the girl to meet her second grade teacher and the boy to meet his kindergarten teacher. The boy is nervous but ready. When leaving the school the nervous side won and he said he wanted to "destroy all the schools [he's] never been to with a wrecking crane". (yes he said never been to)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled another 8 hummingbird feeders.

Did the weekly shopping.

Watered the hanging baskets & pots... another 100 degree day (heat index is 105).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the tree, flowerbeds & asparagus bed.

Made bread.

Went through the remaining potatoes from the spring crop & selected 45 of them for planting next month. Moved them into the guest house (where it's cool & dry) so they can start 'chitting'.

M

Mr_Yan

Set chipmunk traps.
Replaced some bunjies used to hang watering cans with chain.
Watered carrot seedlings.

Made the worst stir-fry I think I have ever done. I burned this thing epically. There was an eighth inch of carbon at the bottom of the wok.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned out the 'burn barrel'.

Refilled the regular bird feeders with sunflower seeds to keep the redbirds & woodpeckers happy.

Picked 3 watermelons & took them to a friend.

Replaced the hose bib by the greenhouse & also replaced the hose.

Refilled the EZ-Flo injection system with 15-30-15 fertilizer.

M

Mr_Yan

finished trenching in the gutter drain tube. Hurt my foot on the last shovel thrust. My boot slipped off the shovel and the edge of the arch of my foot impacted the corner of the shovel. Even through the boot it really hurt.

M

Mr_Yan

Took the day off as vacation:
  • built a small book case for my daughter (needs paint still)
  • weeded some of the garden during the eclipse
  • Played lego with my son
  • picked up kids from their first day of school
  • watered the containers

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the trees, flowerbeds & asparagus bed.

Greased the hinges on the electric gates.

Repaired one of the old garden hoses to use when I clean the water troughs.

Made a batch of scalloped potatoes to go with our supper.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Last week I built a path from the house to the garden by using crushed rock.This area tends to hold water after rains.Got up this morning and hogs had tore it up.I have had hogs root around the pond area near my house but never root through rock.I will try to level it out after I water the front porch plants and the okra.