w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders.

Cut the grass ahead of the predicted rain. They say a tropical storm (possibly a weak hurricane) will bring 8.38" starting Friday... If the current track holds, I expect that they will be revising the rainfall amounts upwards. Bottom line is at least there's hope for some wet stuff.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Finished mowing near the house.Gravel guy finally called and is delivering tomorrow.Hopefully I can finish my driveway project before the sky's fall out.I need rain,but not a foot of it.

K

ksk

We may get soaked Ranch! Wife has a doctor's appointment in Sugar land Friday morning,doubtful that we will make it.

M

Mr_Yan

@w_r_ranch and @ksk You guys far enough inland it will just be rain? My mom is on a barrier island in South Carolina and hurricane Mathew made landfall a few miles south of her last year. I'll take the Midwest any day over dealing with storms that have names.

M

Mr_Yan

Harvested some green beans and tomatoes

Trapped 3 ground squirrels using snap style rat traps. I only saw two, apparently someone's dog was eating the third squirrel when another guy at the community garden got there. I still think these traps are slightly undersized and the conibears will work better.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
@w_r_ranch and @ksk You guys far enough inland it will just be rain?

We're 60-65 miles from the coast... even if it comes ashore at 75MPH, it will be down to 40-50 MPH by the time it hits here. Biggest concern I have, besides the tornadoes, is the rain/runoff which could impact our resupply of groceries/liquor & possible erosion.

K

ksk

Went to town this morning for the groceries and gased up the truck. I have several concerns,one Ranch spoke of,erosion.I'm almost finished with my turn around drive in front of the house.Gravel guy expected tomorrow.Hopefully I'll have time to finish.My other concern are low water crossings.We have two to my north between me and a major county road.There is also one to my south preventing access to Alternate 90.If there were a major crisis in my area,only a helo could get someone out.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
As expected, Harvey is now officially a hurricane (now 85PH) & our rain forecast is up to 13.41". They say it could be a 'high end' category 3 (111 to 130 mph) by tomorrow .

Brought 2 of the smaller watermelons to the house (hurricane rations, LOL!!!).

Since I'm not going out in the rain tomorrow, I did our weekly shopping this afternoon (we didn't need much in the way of groceries anyway). Picked up cigarettes, 3 cases of beer, 2 half-gallons of tequila, a case of water & an additional bag of dog food. The stores here were somewhat wiped out of some items, but nowhere near like the major cities... I then filled up my Jeep & headed home.

The Governor has already declare 30 counties 'disaster areas', we are one of them...
The complete list of counties in the disaster declaration is as follows: Aransas, Austin, Bee, Calhoun, Chambers, Colorado, Brazoria, DeWitt, Fayette, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Gonzales, Harris, Jackson, Jefferson, Jim Wells, Karnes, Kleberg, Lavaca, Liberty, Live Oak, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Victoria, Waller, Wharton and Wilson counties.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Think positive. We've got to see where it's going... I won't know how much to do around here until later tonight/early tomorrow. I figure if it comes here, it ill make landfall around 2100 hrs tomorrow so we should see 40-50 MPH winds starting around 1800 hrs.

Hopefully it hits Corpus Christi or south, but my money is on Rockport...

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I'm not worried about the wind, they have us at 15-20" of rain right now. There's some cotton in the fields thats about to get ruined

M

Mr_Yan

5 ground squirrels down now. Traps only out for three days so far.

My Cabela's order came in with 3 conibear 110s so that will double my trap count. This should put some pressure on the rodent population.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvey is now officially a category 2 hurricane (now 110 MPH) & our rain forecast is up to 25.44". It's going to be an interesting 4 days...

I'll start taking down/moving the hanging baskets, feeders & pots. I got 2 sirloins thawing out to smoke this morning. Afterwards I'll move the kettle into the garage & lay the propane grill down... Then I'll fill up the redneck swimming pool & the bathtubs in case we lose power & have to flush the toilets. Also turned off the power to the greenhouse & the party barn. Guns are already loaded (with additional ammo) & distributed to each room of the house in the event that they're needed. The 'looters will be shot on sight' sign is up. This isn't my 1st rodeo.

That's all I'm doing as I don't think that the winds will be as high as they say (I expect 55-70 MPH)... if I'm wrong, I can live with it.

The feeder bands are starting to appear here, as is the rain.

UPDATE: Harvey is now officially a category 3 hurricane (now 120 MPH) & they're forecasting 27.58" of rain.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Harvey is now officially a category 2 hurricane (now 110 MPH) & our rain forecast is up to 24.05". It's going to be an interesting 4 days...
I thought we had plenty of everything.Realized this morning I may have to make a ''beer run''! lol

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Went to pick up my old neighbor to our house. Marinade some yard birds just in case we need to cook. Vehicles are full of fuel. In-law are here!!! all 23 of them ! Went to HEB for Ice cream...Nothin' ! Fixin' to light up some Cubano's . Y'all hang tight Texas ! Ranch, Wolffman..I'm in Cypress if y'all need anything.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The sirloin steaks are on... at least we'll eat well!!! It was raining pretty good when I pulled them off just now. When the coals are cold, I'll wheel it into the garage.

For those that are interested in what a few of us are about to experience, here is a video explanation of this storm:

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
So far, the dirty side of the storm isn't as dirty as usual. Clouds are really low, probably no more than 400 ft and moving faster now.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Wait for it... those are just the feeder bands, it's still 100 miles offshore. In about 8-10 hrs, it will pickup considerably as it gets closer to landfall. Tomorrow morning you'll be amazed at nature's fury (if we still have electricity).

Here is the LIVE BEACH CAM IN GALVESTON, which is about 180 miles from the storm:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I'm just looking at the radar. The dirty side has a pretty good empty spot in the gulf right now. Of course,that could change in a few hours.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
5 ground squirrels down now. Traps only out for three days so far.

My Cabela's order came in with 3 conibear 110s so that will double my trap count. This should put some pressure on the rodent population.

Mr. Yan, Those tree rats make great table fares... gravy with some buttermilk biscuits is outstanding !

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Lastest Vort from flight 19 - no double eye wall this time and eye went from 16 to 15NM
Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 25th day of the month at 20:07Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF98-5307
Storm Number & Year: 09 in 2017
Storm Name: Harvey (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 19
Observation Number: 09
A. Time of Center Fix: 25th day of the month at 19:54:10Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 27°20'N 96°29'W (27.3333N 96.4833W)
B. Center Fix Location: 63 statute miles (101 km) to the ESE (117°) from Corpus Christi, TX, USA.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,605m (8,547ft) at 700mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 98kts (~ 112.8mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 11 nautical miles (13 statute miles) to the SE (142°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 234° at 112kts (From the SW at ~ 128.9mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 14 nautical miles (16 statute miles) to the SE (140°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 942mb (27.82 inHg)
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 14°C (57°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,050m (10,007ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 17°C (63°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,052m (10,013ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 15°C (59°F)
K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Closed
M. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 15 nautical miles (17 statute miles)
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 700mb
O. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile