• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

watered carrot seedlings

Cleared two more 13 lined ground squirrels - total up to 7 since Monday. One of the things actually had the balls to run right in front of me when I was walking to check one of the traps.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We got 5.80" in the rain gauge, but who really knows for sure as it is impossible to measure rain that is near horizontal. The rain is currently steady & continuous... we have standing water everywhere.

I need to refill just about all of the hummingbird feeders as there are at least a hundred here (they stayed).

K

ksk

We got 5.80" in the rain gauge, but who really knows for sure as it is impossible to measure rain that is near horizontal. The rain is currently steady & continuous... we have standing water everywhere.

I need to refill just about all of the hummingbird feeders as there are at least a hundred here (they stayed).
Ranch as you know I'm around 5-7 miles to your east.I poured out the rain gauge at 7am this morning at 5.5.It was running over.My pond filled up,it was down 6 foot and I have water going through the spillway.I took down my bird feeders.High winds right now and rain.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here the video from a guy waiting to get into the eye of the storm as it made landfall last night:

And a few of the damage this morning... Hard to believe that the Texas Riviera will ever be the same:

M

Mr_Yan

Well I see you guys are just reporting conditions so you're ok, if stuck because of high water.

Does it look like a lot of people took evacuation seriously or did many stay behind to become a recovery problem?

K

ksk

We went over 8 inches the last hour.Wind is blowing hard plus some strong down pours.The county road coming into the ranch we live on has a low water crossing that has 6 feet of water going through it.The ranch is divided by a creek that crosses the two main roads.Both crossings have spillways and they are impassable.We have have plenty of groceries for a week or so.We will be fine as long as we have electricity.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Hey Whaler. how close is this to your place???

No Sir ! it's about 15 minutes from me Ranch. They banned me from living in neighborhood with strict HOA.... I'm across from Towne Lakes. Lights went out for about 30 minutes when that " Heathen" touched ground. Loud as freight train !

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We're glad to hear you & yours are safe Whaler.

We've been spared (thus far) compared to many, considering we are much closer to the actual storm... we've had gentle (albeit continuous) rain totaling 14.83" thus far (9.03" yesterday). It did come down extremely heavy on Friday night though... Our 10 day forecast is saying we will receive an additional 23.24", although I think that is too high (I expect maybe an additional 15" myself). 'Dieter' (the dog) is not happy about the current situation...

Refilled the hummingbird feeders again this morning, as they've emptied them.

A neighbor's dead tree fell on my fence so I cut it so the fence could spring back up. When things dry out, I'll get the loader & throw all of it on his side. I hate neighbors that cause me additional work...

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Got two more ground squirrels in traps. Cleared and reset them.

Beat one ground squirrel to death with a 10' piece of conduit. The thing was on top of a sunflower looking at me when I checked a trap. I picked up the piece of conduit that was at my feet and took an overhead swing at it. Direct hit at the base of the scull with a 1/2" diameter EMT conduit proved fatal.

Made 20 more soil blocks of spinach, 20 more of lettuce, 20 more of beets.

Sifted soil to 1/4" for use in soil block mix next season. My 2 year old helped - she was a mess after.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
We're glad to hear you & yours are safe Whaler.

We've been spared (thus far) compared to many, considering we are much closer to the actual storm... we've had gentle (albeit continuous) rain totaling 14.83" thus far (9.03" yesterday). It did come down extremely heavy on Friday night though... Our 10 day forecast is saying we will receive an additional 23.24", although I think that is too high (I expect maybe an additional 15" myself). 'Dieter' (the dog) is not happy about the current situation...

Refilled the hummingbird feeders again this morning, as they've emptied them.

A neighbor's dead tree fell on my fence so I cut it so the fence could spring back up. When things dry out, I'll get the loader & throw all of it on his side. I hate neighbors that cause me additional work...

Yes sir... We all are good. In Dickinson Texas with a few physicians with skinny boats. doing rescue. yanked out one of my buddy and his family in Meyerland this morning. This picture is breaking my heart....in Dickinson nursing home.

Attachments

• 21106595_10210550815749996_2950739329286561353_n.jpg
    21106595_10210550815749996_2950739329286561353_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4
M

Mr_Yan

How do you not evac a nursing home? Someone is paid to run the place. These guys had what two days notice?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Obviously you've never been to greater Houston area, so I'll attempt to explain... it is about 7.5' above sea level & covers about 8,778 square miles (slightly smaller than Massachusetts, but larger than New Jersey). Now input the weather... I've had it pouring buckets on one side of the house & the other side was as dry as a bone... the bottom line is that you cannot plan for every eventuality here, it just isn't possible. You can build in a 500 yr 'floodplain' & drown the following year. It's a crap-shoot, some win, some lose.

To put this in a relative perspective for you, Galveston County (where this nursing home is located) has received about 30" of rain in the last 60 hours, which is the equivalent of 300" (or 25' of snow). Having lived in North Dakota for years, I know that amount would shutdown the city & the state for days if not weeks.

Now let me ask you, how & where do you evacuate them to, when the whole area is flooded??? How do the people that run these facilities let the 'outside world' that they need help when there is no electricity (and thus no cellphone towers or landlines) & a flash flood occurs???

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
26" and raining. I'm pretty happy with the way the water is shedding though. If we can continue to catch a few breaks here and there, we'll be ok.

IMG_20170826_075250.jpg