• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Madeit up to 22 F today. Winds gusting to 25 mph. Windchill temps stayed below zero most of the day. My daughter had indoor recess.

Tomorrow I have another vacation day. I'll spend part of it looking for a new pair of gloves. My everday gloves are now torn in several places but they're over ten years old. These are Mountin Hard Ware brand and have held up well. Unfortionatly around here we really only have Dicks, MC Sports, and Gander Mtn as sources. I still have two pairs of really warm hand knit mittins - one pair I knit and one pair my mom knit.

Now, that is cold!!! Keep warm and toasty.

M

Mr_Yan

Now, that is cold!!! Keep warm and toasty.
We have a long ways colder to go for a typical winter. Most years I've lived in this town we've hit -20 F and we seem to have a week long stretch each year where the temps stay below zero the whole time. But on the good side we get little snow.The record for seasonal snowfall is only about 70 inches.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Making a pot of navy bean soup as it is still chilly here (55 degrees).

Relocated the temperature gauge on the new Web Kettle's lid as it was in a poor spot for smoking purposes. I 'plugged' the original hole with a S.S. bolt/nut/washers. We are good to go now.

We bought a 9'X12' rug/mat for the back porch, so we put it out there to get it out of the house, although I don't think it will lay flat until it warms up...

patio_mat.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Just cleared abut three inches of fluffy snow. About 22 F here currently.

Have a kid sick on the couch again / still.

M

majorcatfish

before the yankee vortex showed it face here in nc covered all the beds.. yesterday we hit a low of 16*
DSC_0001.JPG
the only bed was worried about was the baby lettuce.. pulled the cover back Saturday afternoon.... happy little campers..
DSC_0006.JPG
have...
beets red,white, golden
lettuce bib, butterhead
bok chio
kale Russian,scarlet,nash green all the sweater types
escarole= endive
carrots orange ,red purple,white, yellow
spinach
green onions
handful of radishes....yup still living..
of course the herbs rosemary, oregano,thyme

love winter gardening.....

M

Mr_Yan

Well another trip to urgent care. Seems that we did't wipe out the kid's strep throat so now he's running a fever again and broke out in a rash. Now we get to call it scarlet fever... By my calendar the week starts with Sunday. I'm ready for this week to be over.

Went out with the six year old to shovel again and play in the snow. We cleared another 2 or so inches but that was about an inch of snow fall ago. Still snowing steadily too.

M

majorcatfish

Yankee vortex? Never heard that one before.

Polar vortex
Alberta Clipper

Ya southern wimps.

growing up in the snow this cool weather does not bother me, but yes southerners are funny they cant drive a lick in the snow.
they think just because they have mud/snow tires or 4 wheel they can still go normal speed... most of the time you find them in a ditch a couple miles ahead ...

M

Mr_Yan

growing up in the snow this cool weather does not bother me, but yes southerners are funny they cant drive a lick in the snow.
they think just because they have mud/snow tires or 4 wheel they can still go normal speed... most of the time you find them in a ditch a couple miles ahead ...

The idiots here in Illinois can't drive in snow (or rain, or fog, or night, or overcast, or sunny for that matter) either.

Shoveled another three inches before 6 AM today. That makes for 8 or 9 inches for the weekend. Mid 20s F at that point. 17 F according to a bank I pass on the way home from work at about 4:30. Currently 10 F by my thermometer outside the kitchen window.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did our weekly shopping & dropped off some stuff at the LUCIE Project (dog shelter).

Made a pot of Carne Guisada using 5 lbs of sirloin steak (as it was on sale this week). I'll adds some carrots & cubed potatoes later.

Got a pot of pinto beans going for tomorrow.

M

Mr_Yan

Now the kid who had strep and was at the urgent care on Sunday went to our normal doc and was diagnosed with walking pneumonia and this was confirmed with a chest x-ray.

10 degrees F when I left for work this morning. 6 degrees F as I drove home.2 degrees F outside the kitchen now.

I'm ready for warm weather and getting out from being cooped up and sharing with all the germ magnets. This will be a long winter

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a pot of pinto beans.

Pinto_Beans_121416.jpg

Hung the 7 Mayan prints in the guest house's master bedroom & bath. The suede mats & antique silver frames go really well in there (credit goes to Mrs. Ranch).

Mayan_Prints.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Made a 2nd batch of the Italian 7-Layer Cookies. I told Mrs. Ranch to stop giving so many of them away, LOL!!!

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Now the kid who had strep and was at the urgent care on Sunday went to our normal doc and was diagnosed with walking pneumonia and this was confirmed with a chest x-ray.

10 degrees F when I left for work this morning. 6 degrees F as I drove home.2 degrees F outside the kitchen now.

I'm ready for warm weather and getting out from being cooped up and sharing with all the germ magnets. This will be a long winter

Kids are in school all day long with other kids passing around all kinds of germs!!! My 6 year old had strep throat last week as well.
I'am surprise that the urgent care facility didn't diagnose with an X-ray. I feel bad for your little one. Hope He/she gets better before Christmas.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's been drizzling rain since I woke up, really a dreary day here. Speaking of dreary, my fellow Texans should be aware that Sunday will be particularly nasty as it is suppose to be 39/24 with 20-30 MPH winds... plan accordingly.

I cleaned all the windows on the porches, hoping to let more light in, LOL!!!

Finished the 7-Layer cookies.

Packaged/froze/vacuum packed half of the Carne Guisada.

Wire-wheeled the bed of the Gator & applied a coat of phosphoric acid to inhibit rust. I'll spray a few coats of bed liner on it in a few days...

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

yes i know it's a bit late... please look into adding "turmeric" or "golden milk tea" into a daily drink for everyone in the house.
sometimes eastern medicines,beats western medicines ...
google them and you be the judge.......

M

Mr_Yan

yes i know it's a bit late... please look into adding "turmeric" or "golden milk tea" into a daily drink for everyone in the house.
sometimes eastern medicines,beats western medicines ...
google them and you be the judge.......

I've been seeing tumeric in several herbal medicine articles. I do typically use a heavy tablespoon in pots of soup. But you have to watch out with herbal medicine especially if you take any other medications. Things like spices and herbs can really mess you up in quantity and many people perceive them as safe regardless.

M

Mr_Yan

Yesterday topped out around 7 F. 12 F when I left for work today. 2 inches of snow on the car when I left work for home. Expect another 3 to 7 inches by early Sunday.

Sunday's high forecast as -4, low around -12.

It was dark and lightly snowing on the drive home which apparently means no one can drive over 30 miles an hour. The pavement is COLD right now (snow blows over it and does not turn to wet slop) and visibility is fine. People need to learn how to drive.

Kids acting healthy and normal. Wife getting over a cold. My cough is coming back - think I have walking pneumonia or bronchitis.

M

Mr_Yan

look into adding "turmeric" or "golden milk tea" into a daily drink for everyone in the house.

So my normal drinks around here are water or green tea. For green tea I use loose leaf gun powder type green tea. I just tried adding about half a teaspoon of tumeric powder to a mug of tea. Not a great idea. I made it thru about half the mug before I got fed up with the flavor. When I poured out the mug there was a yellow tumeric sludge at the bottom of the mug. Now I've moved on to a new mug of tea and thus time I shaved some fresh ginger into it. I may keep with this ginger tea.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put out 3 rolls of hay for the cattle ahead of the cold front.

I opened the barn to check if the skunk was dead (it was) only to find another one in another trap. Being fed up with this situation, I came back to the house to get a scoped .22 & went back & shot it 5 times. Yes, it did smell bad... I set 2 more leg traps, just in case. I then picked up the dead rats & put out another 16 bait blocks.

I'll flip the circuit breaker on for the greenhouse heater & turn the heat lamp on in the well house after supper. The front is suppose to hit here around midnight... It was 70 degrees here at 0600 hrs (when I woke up) & is currently 79 degrees. This will be one of those cold fronts that will cause the temperature to drop 30-40 degrees in a 20 minute period...

M

Mr_Yan

Shovelled 4 inchs of snow. Was about 25°F then. Still holding at 15° but the snow has started. The leading edge of this cold front may bring 4 inches but I doubt we get even half that.

Finished Stocking stuffer shopping for my wife.