• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Just got back from watching my "little 13 years old monkey" school choir sing at our church.I never knew she's could sing.I offer to open up solo for em. Not one response...not even a "NO".

Taking Ranch's advice on the weather, Fixin' to head out and put on the faucet glove.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The only thing going on here is trying to stay warm... The cold front arrived a few hours earlier than was forecasted to, it hit here at 2106 hrs on Saturday... The wind went from 0.7 to 29.4 MPH within a couple of minutes & the temp dropped from 70.5 to 41.9 degrees. BRRRRR!!! Yesterday morning it was 29 degrees with a steady 11 MPH wind out of the north & the temp stayed in the low 30s all day. Being a heartless person, Mrs. Ranch made me refill the bird feeders & put out a suet block for her feathered friends...

It's a brisk 25 degrees with a 9 -12 MPH wind here this morning...

M

Mr_Yan

Yesterday I learned that our Dodge Caravan pretty much sucks on snow. We got stuck trying to adjust the alignment when pulling into the garage. So I had to shovel and clear out a 12' x12' area of 3 to 6 inches thick of glacier. It was 4 below zero and I got too warm so had to take off my jacket.

This morning was 12 to 15 below zero with windchill 25 to 30 below. I have vacation today. Kids schools are cancled - two different systems because of preschool. Local weather calling this the coldest we've been in 2016; then again last winter didn't happen.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Still chilly here, the temperature did manage to make it up to 56 this afternoon.

Took my silver Jeep up to the dealer for tire pressure management issue... The parts will be in tomorrow, so I'll take it back on Thursday.

Made a loaf of Italian bread. Also made a loaf of pepperoni bread to accompany a salad for tonight's supper.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Moved all the meat to the other freezers & defrosted/cleaned the 'deep freeze' unit.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Start perusing the newly arrived seed catalogs.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread & pizza dough, then made pizza sauce for tonight's supper.

Took my silver Jeep back up to the dealer to have the repairs completed. While they were doing, that we did our weekly shopping. Mrs. Ranch also bought new towels & rugs for the guest house's bathroom. Now she's happy.

Restocked the freezer. She also bought 6 baskets to segregate the different meats. She's got it all organized now, LOL!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Lots of small bands of rain passing through today... at least it's in the mid 70s today.

I'm still perusing the seed catalogs, making my selections for the spring garden..

M

Mr_Yan

Spent a few hours over the last few days clearing snow out of the alley so we can easily get to the garage from the street. We don't have a snow blower or truck with a plow so I use a shovel and any help my kids can give.

We've warmed up so we flirt with freezing most days now. Sunday and Monday we may hit the 40s and get rain.

Still waiting for seed catalogs. My wife said none have come yet but in years past she grabbed all of them before Christmas and put them all in my stocking on Christmas morning.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Still have small bands of rain passing through again today... 76 degrees.

Puttered around cleaning up the Gator as the acid is having a problem drying in the bed due to the high humidity.

M

Mr_Yan

Up to 36 F.

Church in the morning. Shifted to Saturday / Christmas Eve services.

Cleared some more snow in the alley.

Made gingerbread men.

Delivered some gingerbread men to a few neighbors.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Christmas weather is 80 degrees & overcast (it's suppose to rain tonight/tomorrow).

Wire-wheeled the floor of the Gator & treated the rusty areas with phosphoric acid... inching the ball forward.

Mrs. Ranch is making fried breaded pork chops for supper. My contribution is scalloped potatoes & fresh bread.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Still getting bands of drizzle here, temperature is 79 degrees...

Started the year-end review of finances... ended up making a call to install another electric gate opener this week (this one for the main ranch entryway). We needed to do some investments in the ranch.

Did some more detailing of the Gator... By the time I'm done, no on would guess that the thing is 17 yrs old, LOL!!!

M

Mr_Yan

36 F yesterday. Rained over night.

Low forties and sun now. Supposed to be back below freezing tonight and next few days.

Ran some errands this morning and found it a little weird driving in day light again. Days are too short this time of year.

Took the dog for a walk.

My wife and six year old are teaching my four year old to read.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Passing shower & 81 degrees today.

Went to pay the property taxes.

Sand, mask & applied the 1st coat of bed liner to the Gator.

M

Mr_Yan

Trying my hand at making eggrolls today.

Doing a bit of cleaning before we're invaded by my in-laws for a few days.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ordered some parts for the Gator, new dashboard indicator light cover, shifter cover & a bed mat. Later in 2017, I want to replace the entire body...

Work on the 2017 spring garden plan.

Gate opener guy came out today.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
59 degrees & raining here this morning...

Got a pot of pinto beans on the stove for supper tonight.

Finished the 2017 Spring Garden Plans & Legend, then ordered all my seeds.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Oh yes!!! I can see them from the garage & they all look perky. the same for the radish & cilantro!!! The last 2 weeks have been nothing but nice, gentle, penetrating rains. We don't need any gully washers like last year...