• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

majorcatfish

our local store had boston butts and chicken thigh's on sale picked up 6 butts and 6 family packs of thighs went to put the butts into the freezer hum no room.. so what a good time to make a pot of smoked turkey stock so pulled out all the bones.
went out to the garden and picked bok chio,escarole,green onions, carrots, kale,thyme and a couple golden beets. we had tomatoes celery parsley yellow onions in the fridge... cooked it for 5 hours
DSC_0212.JPG
once strained made 12 pints of finished stock..
DSC_0002.JPG
took a pack of thighs debone and skinned them marinated for a couple hours then grilled them. made a big skillet of ginger sesame chicken, should have gone back out to pick another head of bok chio...oh well that was good eating... heres a photo of my first attempt the other week.still a whole head is needed..
DSC_0016.JPG
finished up beboning the chicken today and packaging them into the freezer they went...
tonight dw making ham, blackeye beans,kale and garlic bread for dinner...

told the dw that the holidays have put a few extra pounds on me we need to start picking the lettuce for salads and need to start picking more beets for dinner as well....

tic toc only 3 months before starting seeds again....

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pretty much spent a quiet day with Mrs. Ranch yesterday. We closed out the 2016 finances & started putting the tax stuff together for the accountant.

Today is suppose to be in the mid 70s & sunny. We did have a brush with the edge of a thunderstorm that came through during the night... I'm just doing the '1st-of-the-month' chores today (general cleaning, refill the chlorine reservoir for the septic system & maintenance/backups of the computers).

Made grilled chicken fajitas for supper.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went & got our haircuts, then picked up some odds/ends at the grocery store.

Watered everything in the greenhouse & then swept it out as the heater will be back on for the next few days.

Start taking down the Christmas decorations.

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

nws is calling for some snow and lows in the mid teens this up coming weekend, asked the dw to harvest all the older heads of lettuce and pick down the spinach before i got home, once home covered everyone back up.. more in likely going to pick a couple heads of bok chio, carrots,green onions and kale once home friday for the weekend meals.

stuffed the insulation in the well so theres no chance of it freezing...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Chilly/windy here today, never made it out of the 40s. It's suppose to be warmer tomorrow & then the cold front will hit around 1800 hrs, so I'll have to turn the greenhouse's heater on & the light on the well house (lows will be in the 20s).

Waxed the Gator, then measured the bed for some diamond plate. I transferred the measurements to the plate & will cut/install it whenever it warms up again...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Seeds started arriving today...

Put out 3 rolls of hay & fed the cattle ahead of the cold front.

Turned the heater in the greenhouse on & plugged in the heat lamp in the well house as the temp is heading down to 29 tonight.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Haven't been above 15 F for two or three days now. One more day of this in the forecast. Winds have been mostly 10-20 out of the north west with gusts to 30. Windchills have stayed below zero for the last three days.

Starting to think about my seed order for next year.

M

majorcatfish

nws now has updated their forecast. tonight anywhere from 4-8" of snow and 1-3" tomorrow with lows in the low teens.
told dw that we need to do a quick shopping before the yankee vortex snows us in...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
What a cold day, it's still below freezing (30 degrees, with 10-15 MPH winds) & the forecast is saying up to an inch of ice pellets... It's suppose to be like this for the next 3 days, with night-time lows in the mid to low 20s. BRRRRRR...

Made a pot of 15-bean soup with smoked buckboard bacon for supper tonight & Mrs. Ranch is planning to make biscuits later.

15_Bean_Soup.jpg
Received the Gator parts last night so I installed them. Decided I might as well replace the seats too, so I got them on order.

Gator_Dash.jpg

Gator_Shifter.jpg

Gator_Bed.jpg

Gator.jpg

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

13 bean soup and beef stew is on the menu for this weekend....... 2 meals you cant go wrong with on a cold snowy weekend.
going to make extra so we can have grilled cheese sandwiches on monday...

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Woke up this morning to heavy rain and 32 degrees! Nasty ! Got stuck in traffic for 3 hours...some goofy guy wants to jump the rails.
started a pot of chicken gumbo.Fixin' to get down to the 20's tonight.. Ya'll good folks up North,please pray for us..we might not make it through this blizzard storm!! LOL!!

M

majorcatfish

need to make a correction this was not a yankee vortex, it was a northern mexico "texas" vortex..
we received 3" of nice dry snow, not that sloppy wet kind... the next couple nights we will be in the low single digits.
DSC_0004.JPG

@RLwhaler yup we have those kind of drivers here as well. funny how people think since they own a 4-wheel drive and mud/snow tires they can still drive fast.... ice and cars dont mix ...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got colder than expected last night 18 degrees... Made it up to 42 during the afternoon. We can expect another hard freeze tonight as it is sunny & clear right now.

Finished taking down the last of the Christmas stuff & got it all put away, so we're back to normal.

Refilled the bird feeders. Unrelated but Mrs. Ranch noticed that about 20 meadowlarks showed up today (spring is coming!!!).

Made a loaf of sour-dough bread to go with our leftover soup.

Sourdough_010717.jpg

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
need to make a correction this was not a yankee vortex, it was a northern mexico "texas" vortex..
we received 3" of nice dry snow, not that sloppy wet kind... the next couple nights we will be in the low single digits.
View attachment 2548

@RLwhaler yup we have those kind of drivers here as well. funny how people think since they own a 4-wheel drive and mud/snow tires they can still drive fast.... ice and cars dont mix ...

That's a new one Majorcatfish. (northern mexico "texas" vortex..) Haven't heard that one before. What Ive been hearing over the last 15-20 is " El Neno" or " El Nina" Stay cozy ya'll !!

M

Mr_Yan

Spent the last week under 6 F with winds 10 to 20 mph gusting to 30. Today we've warmed to 12 F.

Have my seed orders in the website carts and will place the order today or so.

Attempted to make seed tapes today with newspaper and Elmer's glue. Both for beets and for carrots. These both give me trouble with spacing and thinning when direct seeded. Will keep you posted along the season about the tape.

M

Mr_Yan

@RLwhaler our drivers are about the same here even though they should be used to this weather.

So far our dodge caravan has proven terrible in snow. We rotated the tires in hopes of improvement but its been clear since. Tread supposedly looks good 9/32 on the ones that were up front and 11/32 on the one now up front.

My little Kia Rio with a manual has been great so far this winter.

M

majorcatfish

That's a new one Majorcatfish. (northern mexico "texas" vortex..) Haven't heard that one before. What Ive been hearing over the last 15-20 is " El Neno" or " El Nina" Stay cozy ya'll !!

it's my story and im sticking to it....

M

majorcatfish

started to make a pot of beef stew, by the time getting done it was a pot of vegetable beef stew...
DSC_0004.JPG
love taking a simple recipe and ramping it up... oh we did have 5 cheese bread with it....<store bought >

by the way we ended up with 6" of snow.... at 6;15 we are down to 20 with a predicted low of 7*

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It got down to 23 degrees last night & the high was 55 this afternoon. Forecast is shows this coming week to have highs in the 70s & lows in the 50s/60s.

It was a lazy day here, I just cleaned the office & shredded some of the older stuff from the file cabinets while Mrs. Ranch worked on a quilt.

M

Mr_Yan

Made it up to about 15 F today.

Made a pot of soup and skillet of corn bread - typical Sunday fare around here.

Spent a few hours in the basement building a new can storage rack.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Made another loaf of sour-dough bread.

Started a big pot of beef stew (browned the meat & got it simmering in wine & beef broth). I'll finish it tomorrow...

M

Mr_Yan

Got to the mid twenties today and there was a dusting (approx half inch) of snow on my car after work. When I walked out of the building after work I actually said "its warm out" - I guess that sub-zero temperatures for a week acclimates you.

Seed orders placed:
Botanical Interests:
  • Red pole beans - Trionfo Violetto
  • Crimson Sweet watermelon
  • Musquee de Provence pumpkin
  • Tatuma Summer Squash (12 foot solid core vines - it climbes and is immune to vine borer)
  • Walthan butternut squash
  • Parsnip
  • Snow Pea pods
Johnnys Selected Seeds:
  • Wax pole beans - Monte Gusto
  • Paisano tomaotes (paste type)
  • Green Magic Broccoli
With the seeds I also bought a 2 inch soil block maker. I really like the 1.5" block maker I have but I think the blocks are a little small and a 2" block maker will work better. Sure they're $30 for the tool but I would have spent much more than that on plastic pots / peat pots / 6 packs / flats in the 4 or 5 years I've had the block maker.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned the weather station & replaced the batteries.

Greased all the ranch gates.

Finished the beef stew (that I started yesterday) for tonight's supper by adding the potatoes, carrots, kohlrabi, onions & celery.

Beef_Stew_011017.jpg

Last edited: