• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Well, the cold front has just arrived... It was 62 degrees when I got up, but it's now down to 50 with a 17 mph north wind. Over the next 5 days the nighttime temps will be as low as 15 degrees. I hate winter & the government meddling in the weather.

Finished painting the leaves & highlighting the roses on the new sign, so we're done!!! I'll spray it with a couple of coats of clear acrylic to help protect the artwork whenever the weather permits. It was a good month long project.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Well, the cold front has just arrived... It was 62 degrees when I got up, but it's now down to 56 with a 17 mph north wind. Over the next 5 days the nighttime temps will be as low as 15 degrees. I hate winter & the government meddling in the weather.
I am getting ready for the twenties and or teens here also..... I feel the same on winter.....

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle.

Installed a 2nd heat lamp in the back of the well house (where the water softener & filter are located). We are as ready as we can be for this cold front...

Cleaned the windows on my Jeep & vacuumed it out before installing Dieter's new 'mud room'.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Applied 2 coats of clear acrylic to the sign. After it was dry, we hung it up. Now I can put my Jeep back in the garage.

Sign _Installed.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 32 degrees with a 10 mph north wind this morning. The 2nd cold front is forecast to arrive this afternoon, so I'll be plugging in the heat lamps in the well house around noontime. We're so glad to no longer be stationed at Minot right now, where it's a nasty -23 degrees...

MinotAFB.jpg
Made a quart of buttermilk ranch dressing for our neighbors.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Fed the cattle.

Installed a 2nd heat lamp in the back of the well house (where the water softener & filter are located). We are as ready as we can be for this cold front...

Cleaned the windows on my Jeep & vacuumed it out before installing Dieter's new 'mud room'.

Applied 2 coats of clear acrylic to the sign. After it was dry, we hung it up. Now I can put my Jeep back in the garage.

That looks fantastic...................

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Power has been browning out every 8 minutes like clockwork for the last 6 hours. Doesn’t look like I’ll be able to work today, the CNC machines won’t like it. Also the new refrigerator has a power outage beep that I’m having to reset every single time. Why in the hell does a refrigerator need to beep after a power outage? Annoying.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
The theory is, these are planned outages by the power companies. They flick the power off every few minutes so that thermostats don’t have time to reset and start again. I’m guessing lots of new equipment was installed after the last big freeze to accomplish this. This is what Abbott meant when he said we were a lot more prepared this time.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Well, like most things with the government, the NWS missed their prediction by a lot again last night. They forecasted a low of 27 degrees for last night, but it is 19 right now. They have spent billions on satellites & computers, yet their predictive results only get worst...

And don't get me started on ERCOT, which is just another layer of useless bureaucracy which includes a bunch of people that don't even live here.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The theory is, these are planned outages by the power companies. They flick the power off every few minutes so that thermostats don’t have time to reset and start again. I’m guessing lots of new equipment was installed after the last big freeze to accomplish this. This is what Abbott meant when he said we were a lot more prepared this time.

Its the 'smart meters' that they installed. They can send commands via their satellites to affect the usage of their customer's homes.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to the doctor's for my yearly checkup. The roads are iced over due to the rain freezing on contact (I'm glad the Jeeps have traction control to help), but thankfully traffic was minimal.

It never got above 22 degrees today...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 18 degrees this morning, with a 10 mph north wind (the wind chill is currently 5 degrees here). Ice is starting to form along the edges of the stock tanks... I guess the USDA is as bad at doing their jobs as the NWS is. I'm not buying their 'updated' planting zone manure, I'm still zone 8b per the thermometer.

Worked on the garden plan & ordered the seed.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 16 degrees this morning & the stock tanks are completely iced over. The sun finally came out this afternoon & it's up to 46 degrees.

Made a spice cake with sour cream frosting for dessert.

Fed the cattle.

Replaced the door switch modules on the driver's side of my Jeep. One less age related issue.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pretty day for a change, it got up to 71 degrees & was sunny for the first time in days!!

Work on the ice maker in the kitchen freezer, then replaced the filter again... OPS checked good.

Put out hay for the cattle ahead of the incoming cold front & rain.

Made ranch rice to go with our enchiladas for supper.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Considerably cooler (46 degrees) than yesterday, with a strong north wind. Hopefully tonight will be the last of the freezing nights for a while...

Did the weekly shopping.

Fed the cattle.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The low this morning was 26 degrees & we hit a high of 45 this afternoon. The low tonight is forecast to be 35, but I don't trust them. I hope to be able to turn off the heat lamps in the well house tomorrow.

Mrs. Ranch told me that I need to get started on the interior painting again... I agreed, so I took 3 doors down & stripped the hardware off, before cleaning them with TSP in preparation.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's hit a chilly 41 degrees here for the high.

Primed both sides of the 3 doors, so they're ready for paint.

Fed the cattle ahead of the rain.

Last edited: