• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

KsK

Planting Zone
Cut the heater off in well house.🤞 Making cheesy broccoli soup ( potatoes,carrots and ham ). Brother in Wimberley called yesterday and said his water well is dry. He has been in severe drought status for three years. Subdivisions going up around him hasn’t helped. His temporary saving grace is a 5000 gal. tank he had put in last summer.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 56 degrees & raining good here this morning (4.56" thus far). We're finally catching some runoff in the stock tanks!!!

Applied 2 coats of paint on 1 side of the 3 doors. I'll flip them over tomorrow.

I got a loaf of sourdough rye bread started for tomorrow.

Made a batch of ranch rice.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 65 degrees, with a spotty rain, here this morning (0.46" thus far).

Finished the loaf of sourdough rye bread.

Applied 2 coats of paint on the other side of the 3 doors. On to the door jambs...

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Plumbers came out to replace one of the hot water tanks that was leaking. It only made 3 years on the 6 year warranty.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 59 degrees & raining pretty good again here this morning (4.20" thus far). The stock tanks are almost at their spillways!!!

Made a batch of cinnamon roll cookies for dessert.

Started prepping the door jambs by stripping off the hardware & washing with TSP.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 54 degrees & still raining here this morning (0.68" thus far). I do believe that the rain is over for now, since the wind is out of the north & the sun is shining. Total rainfall for the 4 days is 9.90". We're just very thankful that our tanks are 99% full!!

Reinstalled the hardware on the 3 doors so they're ready to rehang when I'm done with the jambs.

Yearly maintenance of garage door openers, basically clean & grease them.

The feed store called to tell me that the seed potatoes are finally in, so I ran up to get ours & get them chitting.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 44 degrees with no wind here this morning. Turned into a beautiful day at 62 degrees.

Applied the 1st coat of finish paint on the 3 door jambs.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 38 degrees with no wind here this morning. Turned into another beautiful, sunny day of 68 degrees.

Put out a couple of molasses tubs for the cattle & then fed them.

Started spraying the garden in preparation for tilling.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 48 degrees with no wind here again this morning.

Picked up another load of cattle feed.

Finished spraying the garden & started around the home site.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 52 degrees with little wind here this morning. Today was another beautiful day, 68 degrees with a few light clouds!!!

Fed cattle & put of a roll of hay.

Prepped 80 starter pots for peppers & basil, which I plan on planting tomorrow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Another beautiful day!!!

Planted the basil, jalapeno & sweet green pepper seeds (these take to longest to germinate). I watered everything & then turned the heat up in the greenhouse.

Seasoned up a chicken that I put on the smoker for supper. Also made ranch rice to go with it.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to get a haircut & then did the weekly shopping.

Fed the cattle.

Cleaned the asparagus bed & burned the trash.

We received 0.74" of rain just before midnight.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 58 degrees, with a steady rain this morning (0.80" thus far). It looks to be about over as the skies are clearing.

Made a carrot cake with creme cheese frosting for my lil' buddy down the road.

Applied the final coat of paint to the 3 door jambs.

Last edited:

KsK

Planting Zone
Received 1.9 overnight. Around midnight large hail pounded the roof as high winds blew through knocking limbs down through out the property and a few dead trees. A neighbor said he heard 40+ flat line winds were recorded. Some of the fencing around the garden was knocked down. Plenty of clean up when it drys up.

KsK

Planting Zone
It is so wet I was able to hand pull 18 metal fence post around an old deer pen no longer used. I tried last summer with a tractor and they would not budge.

KsK

Planting Zone
Question for you Ranch. I know you have bought the seed potatoes. I assume you have them in the greenhouse developing eyes. Do you keep a light on them 24/7 or just the natural lighting during the day? Thanks

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Question for you Ranch. I know you have bought the seed potatoes. I assume you have them in the greenhouse developing eyes. Do you keep a light on them 24/7 or just the natural lighting during the day? Thanks

This is called "chitting" potatoes. Basically, giving them a jump start before planted and getting healthy eyes started. Put your seed potatoes in a shallow box so that they receive all available indirect light. Keep them on the warmer side, 70F is good enough. They only need natural, indirect sunlight. Near a south facing window is usually a good spot.

KsK

Planting Zone
M
This is called "chitting" potatoes. Basically, giving them a jump start before planted and getting healthy eyes started. Put your seed potatoes in a shallow box so that they receive all available indirect light. Keep them on the warmer side, 70F is good enough. They only need natural, indirect sunlight. Near a south facing window is usually a good spot.
Many thanks.