• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

M

majorcatfish

dw yesterday informed me that the freezer needs to be thinned out, so dug around and pulled out a nice piece of smoked rib-eye from the x-mas smoking.
for the last 8 years we have always done a whole rib eye and make a herb/garlic rub for it...
399905_334604593219051_100000085409531_1347245_2112968473_n.jpg
of course there is always more than we can eat, so we freeze some..
so tonight we are having pan fried smoked rib eye with mash potatoes and green beans from last years garden....

during the holiday season thanksgiving though christmas the smoked is put to good use.
thanksgiving 2013...
4 whole roasting chickens
3 boston butts
2 turkey breasts

christmas 2013
4 whole roasters
2 boston butts
1 whole rib eye
5 lbs of beef bones

all the roasters and butts the meat was pulled off the bones were portioned out and frozen
for dinners throughout the winter. and yes all the bones are kept to make stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ErnieCopp

Sam, Are you familiar with slicing steak Tampiquena Style? I do not cook anymore, but once in a while i will help a little bit with preparing meat. A Tenderloin or New York steak can be very different and very good if cut this way.

The steak should be at least 1.5" thick and 2" is better. Stand it on edge, and hold your blade parallel to the cutting board 1/2" up and slice and unroll the meat like a jellyroll in reverse. It helps if someone holds the end of the cut strip with a fork as you unroll it, The meat, being thin, will cook quick so be careful not to overcook. A short dip in marinade seasoning helps for anything below Choice, but the grain is such that the steak will be more tender cut this way than if cooked normally.

I have a bread knife that has two pieces of paint stir sticks taped to the handle. With the handle held flat on the cutting board, that holds the blade even and is also very good for slicing Croissants and Pan Dulce bread rolls.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yes I am familiar with the technique, although I haven't done it myself.

Here's tonight's supper. 30 yrs today & I didn't even get a salad to go with it, LOL!!!

Supper_21714.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got a rack of ribs on the smoker for tonight's supper. I'll make some rice to go with the leftover pinto beans & of course some homemade bread. No dessert tonight though... guess we can have some mango yogurt if need be.

M

majorcatfish

nothing special last night grilled pork steaks with pan fried potatoes ,corn bread and a ice cold anchor steam.
DSC_0005.JPG

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 69 degrees here today, however it's far to wet in the garden (due to the 2.3" we got) to do any work so I figured it was time to smoke another rack of ribs. The wife really likes them when I use the spicy mustard/cracked pepper rub!!!

Going to do some rice & heat up some of our canned okra gumbo to accompany the ribs. And yes, some homemade garlic bread too!!!

Supper_1_031014.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

Got kabobs on the grill now. Finally dug down, nearly, to the patio around my grill. Last few times I grilled I was standing on snow such that the grill surface of my weber was about even with my knees. Must be what it is like to be 8 feet tall.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Well I sure picked a crummy weekend to fire up the pit, but I couldn't resist. I had to battle the rain off and on for both days. Got the new smoker lit and seasoned up real good on Saturday. Then threw some meat on Sunday. The pit cooked like a dream and held temps with very little effort. We had some friends and family over and ended up doing 3 racks of spare ribs and a 10 lb butt and a couple links of sausage. Everything came out very moist and tender. I still think I can improve a bit once I fully get the hang of the pit.

I didnt get many pics but to go along with the meat we also had Hawaiian buns, vinegar based BBQ sauce, cole slaw and green bean casserole.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Look'in good!!! You will enjoy that pit for many years, along with the meat it can produce!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Going to grill a couple of rib-eyes & potatoes/onions for supper tonight... Mrs Ranch can make a salad & we have leftover peach cobbler for dessert.

M

majorcatfish

nice job 45... makes me want to fire up the brinkman and do some ribs this weekend

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, there's no such thing as left over peach cobbler at my house and I'm the only one here. I can't wait for the Fredericksburg peaches this summer.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
LOL whistech, You've got to remember, I always cook like I'm feeding an army!!!

It's absolutely beautiful today, sunny & 73 degrees. Time to cook supper!!! Today's supper will consist of a whole chicken (that I halved & generously rubbed with our Italian oil). It will be put on the kettle smoker over a mix of post oak & hickory. I also made a spicy chicken stock out of the pieces/parts that I will use to make rice to accompany the smoked chicken. The rest of the meal is up to my wife.

Seasoned_Chicken.jpg

Chicken_Stock.jpg

M

majorcatfish

you have to love how toasting the rice adds a wonderful nutty taste, we will break up some spaghetti noodles and toast them as well.

and the chicken looks delicious as well

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It has been chilly & drizzling all day, but at least the wind died down by suppertime... which was good because a certain sirloin steak had a prearranged 'date' with the grill (as did some garlic bread). Mrs. Ranch made a big bowl of her macaroni salad to accompany our meal as well. Dessert was a cherry pound cake topped with some whipped cream.

Supper_032414.jpg

Dessert_032414.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Well, it was my turn to cook since my wife did yesterday. Got everything ready first thing this morning before heading out to the garden... got the spicy pinto beans going & baked the bread. After finish up my chores for the day, I got out a couple of strip steaks & made some rice. Mrs. Ranch did a small salad of tomato, onion & cheese drizzled with balsamic vinegar to round out our meal. I'm stuffed & going to sleep well tonight... I'm whooped..

Supper_033114.jpg

Rice_Beans_033114.jpg

M

majorcatfish

with this fine sunny weekend fired up the smoker...
last night blended up some rub, rubbed mustard and rub and covered the racks with cheese cloth
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
5 hours later their done took a couple great presentation plate photos, but had a senior moment forgot to put the chip in the camera
was served with pinto beans and coleslaw w/ apple and raisins.
DSC_0027.JPG