• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

M

majorcatfish

sam they were just as good today for lunch with a cold beer.....
did the usual 3-1-1 method
3 hours smoking.... used apple wood
1 hour wrapped ......with apple juice
1 hour .....finishing sauce instead of coke, used cheerwine soda has a hint of cherry
simmer it for 30 minutes the last 10 minutes added apple cider vinegar.

covered 3 completely different regions of bbq in those mouth watering ribs..
nc dry rub
sc mustard
midwest finishing sauce

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ours went on at 13:30 over oak & hickory. Made some Oatmeal Raisin bars for dessert & got a loaf of bread in the oven right now. Mrs. Ranch is going to make a pan of fried potatoes & she took out a bag of brussel sprouts, so it should be another good meal. Pics later.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Very nice, both of you. I need to fire up my pit and get some more practice on it.

M

majorcatfish

sam would you mind posting your rib recipe..... those's ribs of yours look delicious

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The prep is just spicy mustard & cracked pepper... I smoke it (over a mix of post oak oak & hickory) at about 275-290 for about 4 hrs total (no foil).

The glaze is just some balsamic, brown sugar & 50% water to cut it (2 coats applied at about the 3 hr mark). Let the rack rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

I tell you what Ranch man. I grew up despising Brussels sprouts growing up but I think I would give these a run for the money... You cook these things with lots of pork?

yeap mom use to overcook them as well. best thing for them is a couple good hard frosts to sweeten them up.
11-28-13
DSC_0001 (640x426).jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm only doing a few 'light chores' around the house today & in general just going to take it easy by doing some weekend cooking...I got the bread rising & the grill is ready for a nice sirloin steak.

By about noontime, I had the stuffed jalapenos ready to go & the steak seasoned up. Mrs. Ranch decide that she wanted to have some broccoli, so that what we're having (yeah, it is a weird combination). God I hope she isn't pregnant (can you say pickles & ice cream for dessert???), LOL!!!

Oppps, I slightly overcooked the meat, I like it rarer than that... although the butter crust bread was outstanding!!!

Butter_Crust.jpg

Supper_041214.jpg

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

the wife found this recipe last weekend, if you like burgers and chicken..... this is for you..
how to put this it was delicious with the guacamole.......

Cheddar Jalapeno Chicken Burgers with Guacamole

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeño
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/3 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
  • kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
    Optional Toppings
  • 4 hamburger buns
  • lettuce
  • red onions
  • mayonnaise
  • guacamole
  • chipotle salsa
Instructions

1. Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill over medium heat.
  2. Transfer the ground chicken to a medium bowl.
  3. Add in the onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, paprika, cheddar cheese, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Using your hands, incorporate everything together. Make sure everything is evenly incorporated without over mixing the ground chicken.
  4. Form the mixture into four 1/2"-thick patties. Grill burgers over medium heat until cooked through, 5-7 minutes per side.
  5. Serve each patty in a burger bun topped with guacamole and salsa if desired.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Kind of like our spicy 'Pollo La Parrilla', except ground...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Smoking a 6 lb chicken... cut it into halves, applied a light coat on oil, a generous amount of fajita seasoning & then let it marinate for a couple of hours in the juice of 3 limes before putting it on the smoker. Also made a pot of pinto beans & threw in a pint of our homemade salsa for some extra 'zip'. I plan on making some toasted rice in a few minutes to round it out.

Supper_1_042114.jpg

Supper_2_042114.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Grilled sirloin steak is what's for supper tonight (seasoned with red wine & course ground pepper over apple wood coals), fried potatoes, salad, fresh bread & some 'cranberry duff' for dessert...

Supper_042614.jpg

Dessert_042614.jpg

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

last night was another great meal out of that recipe book that i mentioned earlier <grill this , not that ..
added sweet potato tots.... and had a big bowl of vanilla ice cream to top it off
DSC_0001.JPG
heres the recipe..
scan0001.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up a pork loin yesterday & cut it in thirds (about 4 lbs ea.).

I plan on doing a quick smoke of one for supper tonight. Mixed up a batch of rub for them (see below) & applied it to a generously oiled end roast before letting it rest in the refrigerator until it is showtime. It will be smoked over apple wood. Also plan on making 14 stuffed jalapenos to go with it.

Pork Loin Rub
6 Tsp. sugar
6 Tsp. paprika
4 1/2 Tsp.. onion powder
4 1/2 Tsp. garlic powder
1 Tsp. salt
3 Tsp. ground black pepper
1 1/2 Tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 Tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 Tsp. ground coriander
3 Tsp. cinnamon
3 Tsp. oregano

It took about 2 hrs to reach an internal temp of 145 degrees, at which point I applied the glaze. The glaze consisted of a mix of 3 heaping serving spoons of apple butter, 1/4 stick of butter, 4 healthy dashes of Louisiana hot sauce, some brown sugar & water to thin.

Supper_042914.jpg

I won't even attempt to me modest, it came out great... the meat was moist and the rub & the glaze complimented one another very well without overpoweing the delicate flavor of the meat itself. I knew I did well when Mrs Ranch said "I'd pay good money for a meal that tastes like this!!!".

Last edited:

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, thanks for posting your pork rub recipe. I would have never thought about using cinnamon in a rub. I have everything for the rub in the pantry except cinnamon and sugar. I am going to give it a try this next week.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
It was mine and Mrs. 45's anniversary yesterday. We had a little league game after work so didnt really do much, but much to my surprise when I got home from the game my wife had picked up 2 fat filets from our local meat market (Perry's). I threw em on the gas grill and they came out perfect. Mine med/rare and wife's med/well...... just how we both like em. Pic of mine below. Yummm, so tender.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Perry's is an excellent meat market. I used to stop by there when I worked out by NASA, but now it's too far to drive. I have now found a couple of good meat markets in Spring and Conroe.

M

majorcatfish

It was mine and Mrs. 45's anniversary yesterday. We had a little league game after work so didnt really do much, but much to my surprise when I got home from the game my wife had picked up 2 fat filets from our local meat market (Perry's). I threw em on the gas grill and they came out perfect. Mine med/rare and wife's med/well...... just how we both like em. Pic of mine below. Yummm, so tender.

some how i missed this...... congrats

M

majorcatfish

tonight the wife cooked ribeyes, rice. balsamic vinegar asparagus and garlic bread.....
DSC_0008.JPG
and for desert a moose poop cone....
DSC_0009.JPG
after this dinner will have to push mow the yard weather it needs or not.....dinner was wonderful